Already applied?View Dashboard
VP, Corporate Communications, North AsiaApply Now Job ID 587479BR Location Japan Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 06/05/2019
Job Summary:About The Walt Disney Company
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries, is a diversified worldwide entertainment company with operations in four business segments: Media Networks, Studio Entertainment, Direct-to-Consumer and International; and Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products. Disney is a Dow 30 company and had annual revenues of $55.1 billion in its Fiscal Year 2017.
The Vice President, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company North Asia position has oversight for Greater China, Korea and Japan and is responsible for building a positive image and reputation for TWDC in this region. The position sits within a highly matrix designed structure with the leader required to provide executive counsel to senior management, broader business guidance and, management of culturally and geographically diverse teams. The position requires a strong, intellectual curious, self-starter with a proven expertise in transferring business goals and concepts to clear media and communications strategy. The person should be a keen follower of trends, know what is happening in the market and have a fascination for the stories that connect with people around the world.
- Build a positive image and reputation among stakeholders
- Communicate the Disney brand proposition externally
- Coordinate and integrate the communications of Disney’s various lines of business
- Develop positive relationships with key stakeholders across media, internet influencers,
- Deliver on communications agenda in the local media community to enhance Disney’s corporate reputation.
Areas of oversight will include, but not be limited to, financial reporting, mergers and acquisitions, legislative and regulatory matters, branding, litigation, crisis communications and executive communications.
Strong internal communications skills are also necessary to work with Asian-based executives and corp. comm. staff in US.
Detailed Description of Key Responsibilities
- Oversight of key regions + general coverage
- Input to, and implementation of corporate communications plan
- Liaison with LOB teams to maximize efficiency and awareness of programs
- Motivate and manage a regional PR team (approx. 15) plus agencies to deliver consistent ideas and results
- Ability to work with media to shape editorial calendars according to corporate communications strategy
- Articulate and deliver a sensible strategy for social media: understanding of the social media landscape and an ability to shape leadership/ thought strategy thru this medium
- Development of key media relationships in Asia
- Exceptional writing skills for press releases, presentations, speeches, messaging, talking points
- Independently initiate & implement projects pan regionally
- Ability to work with TWDC offices in the region providing clear guidance and support
- Strong ability to coach and develop teams across the region and provide strategic management insight
- Ability to work confidently and provide clear guidance to partner agencies in the region
- Drive employee branding and culture through internal communications
- Crisis & Issues management support
- Perform any and all other duties, as may from time to time be assigned from management team
Basic Qualifications:Qualifications / other skills
- University graduate with min 8-10 years’ corporate communications experience either in house or in an agency
- Experience in working in a media environment ideal but not essential
- Understanding of the Asian media and stakeholder environment
Internal: TWDC Communications teams across North Asia
Teams from across lines of business (LOB)
US corporate communications teams and business groups
External: Media (local + regional + international)
External relations groups/ lobbyists and other special interest groups
Key opinión leaders
Stakeholder partners (Chambers of Commerce/ Industry associations)
Licensee and their public relations agencies
- Leadership/ Creativity / Initiative / Innovative / independence yet effective team worker
- Curiosity about multitude of topics
- Sense of humor
- Committed to excellence
- Excellent co-ordination and communication skills/ ability to multi-task essential
- Able to work in a highly innovative and dynamic environment
- Ability to interact confidently with senior executives and media
- Ability to work in a heavily matrix structured organization
- Ability to lead and develop large diverse teams
Other requisites, languages
- Fluency in English
- Computer literacy required: PC skills (general) Power point essential
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company (China) Limited, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.