Explore more roles by using our guided searches:SHIPBOARD » ISLAND » SHORESIDE »
Dance Supervisor - 10 Months ContractApply NowApply Later Job ID 10043094 Location Toronto, Canada Business Disney Cruise Line Date posted Mar. 18, 2023
DANCE SUPERVISOR – 10 Months Contract
Disney Cruise Line (DCL), a division of The Walt Disney Company, operates a four-ship fleet of premium class cruise liners and is the industry leader in family vacations at sea. DCL Entertainment (Toronto) is a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company Canada, and serves as the rehearsal headquarters for DCL’s award-winning theatrical productions. Within a state of the art entertainment rehearsal facility, DCL’s production teams pride themselves on creating memorable family entertainment that is both enchanting and magical – delighting the young and young at heart with legendary Disney storytelling.
Based in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and reporting to the Resident Director, the Dance Supervisor will be responsible for teaching choreography in accomplishing the ongoing remounts of DCL’s entertainment product. This position represents Disney Cruise Line and the Walt Disney Company in all respects and must be able to interact with performers, creative teams and managers of all levels in a positive and productive way.
Fixed Term – 10 Months Contract
- Teaches and maintains different choreography and blocking within the DCL LIVE entertainment offerings to both Character and Mainstage performers involved in Disney Cruise Line productions
- Collaborates and partners with a range of Disney professionals to include:
- Talent Casting
- Stage Manager
- Resident Director
- DCL shoreside teams
- Shipboard Management
- Maintains the show integrity as well as the DCL LIVE entertainment standards of quality and safety
- Instructs performers, fellow Dance Supervisors, and/or outside contracted creative vendors – including, but not limited to, the creation of occasional staging and choreography
- Partners with costuming to develop all performer tracking documents
- Partners with shipboard leadership in the replacement and implementation of talent
- Leads choreographic auditions for DCL in the Toronto rehearsal facility
- Scheduling of long and short-term rehearsals
- Maintains a current library of blocking books
- Documents choreography and staging
- Duplicates rehearsal/shows DVDs
- Organizes and Manages rehearsal/show video files and documentation
- Overall responsibility for maintaining Disney creative standards, including but not limited to show quality, character integrity, and Disney standards of safety.
- Post-Secondary education in entertainment performance, instruction & management or equivalent in professional experience is strongly preferred
- At least 4 yrs. professional experience with education and experience in theatrical entertainment – must include acting, vocal, and choreographic performance and direction
- Thorough understanding of Disney character brand usage and how it interfaces with the Disney Cruise Line repertory theatre operation
- Knowledge of Disney Character Animation usage and how it interfaces with the Disney Cruise Line repertory theatre operation
- Knowledge of DCL LIVE entertainment standards of quality and safety
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Computer proficiency – Excel, Word, Outlook
- Willingness & ability to travel to the U.S. and internationally for lengthy periods of time
- Agreeable to all maritime sailing and seafarer guidelines, requirements and regulations, including sailing onboard the DCL ships statused as “crew" and assigned to the crew manifest
Our Company proudly provides equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. We welcome and encourage applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in any aspect of the selection process.
About Disney Cruise Line:
A leader in the cruise industry, Disney Cruise Line provides a setting where families can reconnect, adults can recharge and children can experience all the magic that Disney has to offer. Guests can sail out of ports around the world on exciting itineraries to the Caribbean, Bahamas, Alaska and Europe, among others. Aboard the fleet of five ships – the Disney Magic, Disney Wonder, Disney Dream, Disney Fantasy and Disney Wish – and Disney’s private island paradise in the Bahamas - Castaway Cay, crew members provide guests with unparalleled service, enchanting storytelling and immersive family entertainment that only Disney can deliver.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company (Canada) Ltd., which is part of a business we call Disney Cruise Line.