Youth Activities CounselorApply Now Apply Later Job ID 724755BR Location United States Business Disney Cruise Line Date posted Jan. 13, 2020
Responsibilities:Your ability to be flexible with your work schedule, job duties, and work locations will be essential as you start your new adventure in the Youth Activities department. As a Youth Activities Counselor (YAC,) you will work in partnership with our Youth Entertainment Host Team, by providing program support, to ensure all department and shipboard objectives are successfully met.
Showcase your leadership, creativity and talent, by facilitating and presenting small scale activities. As a YAC, you will also assist in set-up and clean-up duties at the conclusion of each program and/or activity. This includes, cleaning and sanitization of spaces and objects as well. Passion, coupled with a roll-up-your-sleeves attitude is a must for Youth Activities Counselors, as they work to provide an emotionally and physically safe environment for children.
It is important to note that this role will require you to engage with guests both on the ship, as well as on our private island, Castaway Cay. Caring for Guests is a priority at Disney Cruise Line, so Youth Activities Counselors are expected to extend the same level of care, regardless of the location, at all times.
- 3+ seasons (3 months each) of overnight and/or day camp experience
- Minimum of 2 seasons (3 months each) of overnight and/or day camp experience PLUS 1 year experience working in a high volume, fast-paced environment in recreation, resort, day care, before/after school care setting with children
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working in a high-volume, fast-paced environment in recreation, resort, day care, before/after school care setting
- Must be at least 20 years of age
- Ability to speak, read, and write fluent English
- Must be able to command the attention of a large group of children. Must have experience working with a minimum of 25 children up to 200 children or more.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, shipboard environment with limited contact with friends and family on shore
- Ability to work without a day off for 4 ½ months at a time, and work 70-84 hours per week
- Be able to adhere to Disney Cruise Line appearance guidelines
- Comply with all company set policies and procedures, along with all maritime and ship rules, regulations and procedures
- Schooling in recreation, education, or related field of study is preferred
- Bi-lingual in Spanish and/or Portuguese
- Microphone experience preferred
- Experience working with special needs children
This is a SHIPBOARD role.
Average contract length is 4 ½ months on, 6-8 weeks off. You must be willing to share a cabin with other crew members, and be comfortable living in a confined space with strict rules and regulations. A valid passport and C1/D Seaman’s Visa is required, along with successfully completing a pre-employment medical, and criminal background check.
**Disney Cruise Line is a drug-free workplace. All new hires are required to undergo drug/alcohol testing within the first week onboard and throughout their contracts. Failure to pass the drug/alcohol testing will result in immediate termination.
- Have a valid passport and C1/D Seaman's visa (DCL will provide you with documents to obtain this) Complete a pre-employment medical Obtain a criminal background check Bring approved work shoes
About Disney Cruise Line:
A leader in the cruise industry, Disney Cruise Line provides a setting where families can reconnect, adults can recharge and children can experience all the magic that Disney has to offer. Guests can sail out of ports around the world on exciting itineraries to the Caribbean, Bahamas, Alaska and Europe, among others. Aboard the fleet of four ships – the Disney Magic, Disney Wonder, Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy – and Disney’s private island paradise in the Bahamas - Castaway Cay, crew members provide guests with unparalleled service, enchanting storytelling and immersive family entertainment that only Disney can deliver.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Magical Cruise Company, Limited, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Cruise Line.