Compositing SupervisorApply NowApply Later Job ID 10004441 Location Vancouver, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Sep. 12, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
The Compositing Supervisor participates in the supervision and direction of the Compositing group on a given project, in addition to a variety of administrative and personnel decisions, responsibilities, and tasks related to the staff members and activities. This position serves as a role model and mentor for the Compositing department, with the objective of fostering a team environment, and producing high-quality imagery.
What You’ll Do
- Guide the Compositing team in achieving the vision of the Director and VFX Supervisor
- Advocate to achieve the highest quality aesthetic results in the compositing domain at the shot and show level; have the ability to not only manage the team, but complete the highest-level and most complex shot work
- Take a primary role in creating efficiencies and advantages in software capabilities for department and show requirements
- Participate in colour management, including the ingestion of scanned photography and internal colour management systems to ensure colour consistency of ILM’s work
- Handle quality control issues as shots go to film
- Communicate effectively with all levels of Production, VFX Supervisor, client/director, discipline supervisor peers and Compositing team
- Responsible for genuine, timely feedback to Compositing crew members
- Act as a point person between Production and Compositing crews, providing clear and timely communication
- Assemble crew for production, assess individual’s skills, and delegate work appropriately
- Participate in the supervision and direction of a variety of administrative and personnel decisions and responsibilities including: recruitment, determination of work procedures and priorities, career development, employee morale, performance reviews and conflict resolution
- Participate in the creation and submission of shot bids
- Assess work for a shot and is responsible for its completion
- Assist the department talent manager with the employee review process and the scheduling of personnel on shows, providing input on skills, productivity, and career development
- Assist with problem solving efforts and communicating issues organizationally, logistically, and technically
- Supervise and train less experienced compositing artists
- Foster a team environment
What We’re Looking For
- 5+ years of Compositing experience
- Outstanding Artistic Ability
- Expert-level Nuke abilities
- Excellent communication skills a must
- Highly skilled in all aspects of compositing, colour tools and methodologies, matte extraction techniques, 2.5d compositing techniques, scanning and timing process
- Understanding of photography, composition, lighting, colour, and motion
- Ability to mentor less experienced Compositors
- Working knowledge of Unix and shell scripting
- Python experience a plus
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Vancouver) Inc., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.