Creature Technical Director (Feature Animation & VFX)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 10000184 Location Vancouver, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Sep. 29, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
The Creature Technical Director is responsible for rigging and enveloping hero to background creature, vehicles, and props in Maya. They are able to wrangle rigging and creature pipeline issues proficiently under the direction and support of their supervisors; and have the ability to run flesh-surface, hair, rigid sim, crowd, and/or cloth simulations.
What You'll Do
- Provide rigging and enveloping in Maya for various vehicles, characters, and creatures
- Run cloth, hair, rigid body, crowd, or muscle simulations
- Troubleshoot creature pipeline issues for artists in other disciplines
- Script utilities/tools/plug-ins in Maya and/or Houdini
- Participate in reviews, dailies, and department meetings as required
- Mentor entry level artists
- Special projects as necessary
What We're Looking For
- At least three years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least five years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education
- Experience as Maya rigger for assets in digital animation, visual effects, games, commercials
- Experience running simulation shotwork
- Experience in corrective sculpting
- Knowledge of anatomy and enveloping
- Positive attitude and team player
- Good communication skills
- Proficiency with Linux
- Expertise with Maya and Houdini
- Experience with python scripting
- Nice to have:
- Basic proficiency in another discipline - modeling, texture, TD, animation
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Vancouver) Inc., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.