Facecap SupervisorApply NowApply Later Job ID 10023026 Location Vancouver, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Sep. 14, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
The Facecap Supervisor works independently and under the VFX Supervisor as the leader of a project’s facial capture team. The Facecap Supervisor approves shotwork, advises layout artists on aesthetic changes, and manages the final aesthetic look and accuracy of the facial capture solves sent to the VFX Supervisor. The supervisor works closely with production to schedule and cast shotwork, bid new or existing shots, and help estimate crewing needs.
The Facecap Supervisor mentors artists, teaches show specific training courses, and troubleshoots shots/pipeline issues if the Facecap artist cannot. The Facecap Supervisor oversees all outsourced Facecap work, ensuring that any vendor’s work is held to the same standard as work completed internally or at any ILM facility. In addition to supervising duties, the Facecap Supervisor will complete their own shotwork. This includes testing out new technology and software on the first handful of shots, tackling difficult and easy shots depending on the needs of the team and show.
Ideally, the Facecap Supervisor will have experience in the matchmove and matchanim areas as well as some experience in layout work. This is a key aspect as the Layout department encompasses matchmove, layout and facecap.
What You’ll Do
- Responsible for the most complex facial capture shots and initial setups; work independently with minimal supervision
- Provide leadership, guidance and direction to the facecap team to ensure the VFX Supervisor’s direction is realized; making sure the consistency and quality is upheld across the body of work produced by their team.
- Create documentation to aid training and provide reference material for the team
- Work with other departments such as pipeline, creature dev and modeling to help guide the facial shapes, troubleshoot Facecap and Layout issues
- Work with the CG, VFX Supervisor and Production Manager to bid, schedule, and cast shotwork
- Give the facecap team technical and aesthetic instruction for a shot or sequence
- Convert background plates to create digital motion files that match the plate photography, including animating any live action character or relative object in the scene
- Generate 2D Compositing elements, while maintaining the accuracy of the camera perspectives
- Model the set geometry used to create the matchmove and environment for other departments
- Create original all CG camera animation
What We’re Looking For
- At least eight years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR 10 years of relevant professional VFX industry experience in lieu of education.
- Good written and oral communication skills including strong interpersonal skills
- A strong knowledge of facial muscles and movements, with proven experience of replicating expressions and feelings that are key in many shots
- Experience of either solving facial performances or modeling face shapes
- Confidence to supervise and mentor a team of artists
- Clearly communicate and proactively engage other discipline supervisors, including CG Supervisor and VFX Supervisor, to attain the best looking results possible for the client
- Deliver feedback to artists, both constructive and positive
- Must have a willingness to learn new tools, proven ability to be detail-oriented and to work efficiently within a production environment
- Excellent problem solving skills including the faculty to work to tight deadlines
- Understanding of photography principles and the effects of different lenses on perspectives
- Nice to have:
- On-set experience
- Background in previz or rough layout a plus
- Advanced knowledge of LINUX, 3DE, Maya, Nuke, front end pipeline knowledge (Asset development, Capture), and/or proprietary tracking software
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Vancouver) Inc., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.