Hard Surface Modeler Vancouver, BCApply NowApply Later Job ID oNIQgfwl Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Sep. 08, 2021
With an emphasis on proportion, form, detail, and functionality, the hard surface modeler creates three dimensional objects to be painted, animated and used in a production. Examples include vehicles and props.
What You’ll Do
- Creates three-dimensional hard surface models like mechanical objects, environments, and props for the Animator, Painter, and Technical Director. Employs specific software tools to build the geometric structure of the object and ensures that the model will satisfy the requirements of the production
- In building an object, the modeler must incorporate technical expertise, artistic ability, an understanding of mechanisms, and a basic comprehension of animation
- Works with the production team (Sr. Modeler, Technical Directors, Painters and Animators) to determine the “look” for an object
- Builds the geometry of computer graphic models, with an understanding of how the geometry will be used in the production process
- Performs other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated animation
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in Architectural/Industrial Design or equivalent having gained a strong sense of surface development, proportion, and mechanical functionality. Traditional model building a plus
- At least 5 years’ polygon/subd modeling experience. Knowledge of Linux is a necessity to navigate through ILM’s production pipeline
- Required Skills/Competencies
- Proven experience creating inorganic objects in a feature film or production environment
- Requires familiarity with film and video post-production techniques and with computer graphic techniques
- Knowledge of 3D programs such as Maya, Modo, Mudbox, or Zbrush
- Texture painting and UV layout experience desirable
- Sketching, drawing, painting and design skills desirable
- Experimentation with animation or advanced rendering a plus
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.