Junior Animator (TV) Vancouver, BCApply Now Apply Later Job ID oMIscfwS Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Mar. 11, 2020
Industrial Light & Magic (Vancouver) Inc., located in Vancouver, BC, Junior Animator (TV) contributes to the creation of high quality motion of computer graphics creatures and objects within a shot, using a variety of animation software programs, and working with the support of Senior Level and Animation Supervisors.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Day-to-day show support including:
- troubleshooting flow of data in/out of department;
- escalating tech issues to appropriate show or tech group;
- updating Animators shotfiles with newly released assets;
- rendering movies for dailies; and,
- reference gathering and organization
- Responsible for the successful animation of shots on a specific project
- Participate as a team member in determining various aesthetic solutions; provide feedback to other members of the production by attending dailies on a regular basis
- Animate entry-level shots, time permitting
- Facilitate the publishing of Animators’ work down the pipeline
- Responsible for assisting in maintaining Asset congruency to current releases in Animators’ shots
- Create Animation Cycles
- Create polish animation for shots including finger, toes, ear, tail, and wing animation, cleaning up contact sliding, body penetrations, tweaking arcs etc
- Problem-solve and fix any issues that may arise from updating assets in Animators’ shotfiles (This could include constraint blending fixes, global positioning fixes etc.)
- Set up animation scene files
- Assisting Animators in passing shots along to other disciplines
- Build UI for character rigs
- Process Mocap performances onto show Assets
- Blend Mocap animation performances and add Polish to said performances (This could include fixing penetrations, adding finger and hand animation, exaggerating key poses etc.)
- Responsible for Mocap processing in shot production and cycle creation
- Cleaned Mocap and cycle animation to the MotionDataBase
- Collaboration with stage team may be required
- Occasionally may be required to perform hands-on shot work on show and provide reference performances including motion capture performances as part of assigned shot work and to assist the animation team
Reporting RelationshipsReports to the Senior Production Manager (TV) and receives daily oversight and direction from the Animation Supervisors and Leads.
- Minimum 1 year of VFX Film or TV animation experience and at least a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Traditional Animation; OR at least 3 years of relevant professional VFX experience.
- Firm understanding of traditional animation principles, acting, film production and compositional design
- Experience and a firm knowledge of Maya
- Good organization and communication skills
- Ability to take on a delegated task with a minimum of supervision
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines
- Strong communication and follow through; Proactive, self-sufficient individual
- A demo reel demonstrating a strong knowledge of Animation principles and artistic ability is required
- Proficiency with Linux desired
- Experience with Motion Capture data a plus
- Scripting knowledge (Python, Mel) a plus
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.