Junior Generalist Vancouver, BCApply NowApply Later Job ID oaytafw5 Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Oct. 21, 2020
DescriptionThe Junior Generalists demonstrate a strong base of knowledge in 3D Computer Generated Imagery creation. They must display proficiency and a varied skill level across most of the areas of model, texture, shading/look development, basic hard surface animation and FX simulation as well as the ability to composite their own work. They work both individually and within a team, with tasks ranging from completing everything on a small number of shots to working on specific tasks within a larger body of work. Their work is subject to close supervisory review at frequent intervals. Candidates will be considered if they demonstrate themselves to be exceptional in only one area, as long as they have some experience in all others and are willing to learn.
- Day-to-day show support
- Responsible for escalation of tech issues to appropriate show or tech group
- Communicates shot status to Production and Supervisor. Follows through on specific artistic direction
- Produces work under tight deadlines
- Potential need to work across multiple projects/productions at any given time
- Produces entry level shot work, which might include:
- Simple sequence-based lighting/rendering tasks
- Rendering env map/360 spheres for TDs to render against
- Basic model and texture tweaks
- HDRI environment map stitching and organization
- Check files and scenes from outsource vendors for consistency
- Write documentation of processes and workflows
- Tuning renders for shot efficiency
- Works with the show/department Tech lead to test software
- Updating and organizing Generalist-specific libraries
Education / Experience
- Degree or 1-2 years relevant experience (professional OR amateur) in one or more of the following fields: Computer Graphics, Fine Arts, Design or Photography
- Some entry level knowledge of MAX/Maya modelling tools and some Photoshop/Mari texturing painting skill
- Proven ability in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development, or compositing. Is expected to have some entry level knowledge of MAX/Maya modelling tools and some Photoshop/Mari texturing painting skill.
- Exhibits strong teamwork and interdisciplinary thinking
- Demo reel required
- Strong English communication skills
- 0 – 2+ years feature film experience preferred
- Fluent in Photoshop
- Fluent in 3dsmax, Maya or similar
- Fluent in Vray or MRay or similar ray trace renderer
- Comparable software experience considered
- Strong artistic skills
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.