Junior Lighting Technical Director Vancouver, BCApply NowApply Later Job ID oIJPdfwd Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Apr. 22, 2021
The Junior Lighting TDs work under a sequence lighting lead to make basic lighting and shader tweaks. They may also manage renders and provide them to comp. Work is subject to close supervisory review at frequent intervals. They need to be able to develop enhancements or "fixes" to identified aspects of art / technologies, as well as be able to create shaders and tools for more than one type of 3D character and element. Can tweak monolithic materials, modify and run existing turntables, basic checkins into asset management system for basic CG assets (props, plants, set dressing, traffic, vehicles).
What You'll Do
- Day-to-day show support
- Troubleshoot flow of data in/out of department
- Responsible for escalation of tech issues to appropriate show or tech group
- Strong communication and follow-through
- Strong artistic skills; some background in visual arts a plus
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines
- Work with stage team may be required
- Potential need to work across multiple projects/productions at any given time
- Entry level shot work, time permitting, which might include:
- Constructing look-developed objects, effects, elements or characters
- Lighting simple creatures and rudimentary A over B compositing ability
- Tweaking monolithic materials, modifying and running existing turntables, and performing basic check-ins into asset management system for basic cg assets (props, plants, set dressing, traffic, vehicles)
- Pre-flight lighting tasks
- Quality control of files and scenes from outsource vendors
- HDRI environment map stitching and organization
- Software testing
- Render tuning
- Simple sequence lighting tasks
- Maintaining/updating templates and generics
What We're Looking For
- At least 2 years of relevant VFX experience and at least a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Traditional Animation; OR at least 3 years of relevant professional VFX experience
- Exhibits strong teamwork and interdisciplinary thinking
- Demo reel required
- Nice to have:
- 0- 5+ years feature film experience preferred
- Linux and Python scripting or shader authoring preferred; C++ skills also applicable
- Basic lighting & look development
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.