Lead Animator Vancouver, BCApply Now Apply Later Job ID ow7Fafwc Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Jul. 30, 2019
Industrial Light & Magic (Vancouver) Inc., located in Vancouver, BC, Lead Animators are responsible for designing and creating the motion of computer graphics characters within a shot while overseeing the animation of a sequence of shots on a specific production.
This specific position is for a production that requires proficient skill in both realistic and toon style animation, where experience working in an exaggerated cartoon style of animation on animated features, as well as live action creature and character animation will be key to this role.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Lead creation of outstanding animation for graphics, creatures and objects within a shot, using various animation software programs
- Comprehend and execute direction from Animation Supervisor
- Oversee the work of entry, mid and senior level animators and provide day-to-day support and guidance at the discretion of the Animation Supervisor
- Participates as a team member in determining various aesthetic solutions; provides feedback to other members of the production by attending dailies on a regular basis
- Expected to train and mentor new Animators as well as provide technical assistance to the show supervisors before and during the production
- Maintain or exceed a consistent level of productivity while meeting deadlines and producing high quality work
- Performs other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated animation
- Occasionally may be required to perform hands-on shot work on show and provide reference performances including motion capture performances as part of assigned shot work and to assist the animation team
- 7+ years relevant professional experience and a BA in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Expert knowledge of traditional animation principles, acting, film production and compositional design while demonstrating exceptional skills as an animator based as evidenced by portfolio, demo reel and references
- Completion of a minimum of three years as a Senior-Level Animator in conjunction with recommendations for advancement by the Animation Supervisors and the Department Manager
- Excellent organization and communications skills
- Proficiency with Linux desired
- Expert knowledge of Maya, proprietary and other software programs
- Knowledge of chaining and constraint techniques
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.