Lead Creature Technical Director (TV) Vancouver, BCApply NowApply Later Job ID ohTEdfwL Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Oct. 03, 2020
Creature TDs are responsible for setting up and running rigid body, flesh, hair, and cloth simulations as well as for addressing rigging and creature pipeline issues proficiently.
The Lead Creature TD (TV) is the primary technical resource within the team. As such he/she advises on technical and workflow decisions for projects and sequences, and supports, creates, maintains, and troubleshoots Creature-related techniques, tools and assets.
- Collaborate with leads and supervisors to define technical approaches and workflows
- Tackle technically complex shots and assets
- Evaluate technical options including third-party software solutions
- Set up and run proprietary rigid body, cloth, hair, and flesh simulations
- Wrangle creature pipeline and rigging issues
- Support and mentor entry level artists
- Actively create generic and show-specific tools/setups/utilities/plug-ins
Education / Experience
- At least 8 years work experience required in 3D CGI for digital animation, visual effects or producing cg characters and creatures for visual media.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree in Computer Science, computer visualization, or computer animation required.
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
- Proven Track record of delivering high end VFX across a range of episodic television genres.
- Strong understanding of the pace and production process of episodic television
- Experience with advanced hero asset rigging and enveloping in Maya
- Experience setting up and running simulation shotwork.
- Experience in corrective sculpting.
- Knowledge of anatomy and enveloping
- Positive attitude and team player
- Passion for the work
- Good communication skills
Preferred Skills / Technical Competencies
- Experience with Massive or Houdini crowd software
- Basic proficiency in another discipline -modeling, texture, TD, animation
- Proficiency with Linux
- Expertise with Maya
- Experience with python scripting
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.