Lead Previs Animator Vancouver, BCApply NowApply Later Job ID o5qUdfwm Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Oct. 31, 2020
The Lead Previs Animator collaborates closely with the Previs Supervisor and VFX Supervisor to design and create shots and sequences ensuring the Director and Clients vision are met through dynamic camera movement, animation, composition, staging, lighting and editing.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Responsible for one or more of the following areas
- Storyboarding: Development of either hand drawn or maya based storyboards.
- Asset Dev: modeling, texturing, shading of assets.
- Set Dressing: Preparation of environments for animation and layout.
- Rigging: Development of in-shot pipeline compatible rig solutions.
- Animation+Layout: Designing and animating shots over an entire sequence.
- Lighting+Rendering: Preparation of low tech, fast render aesthetic solutions.
- Tool Dev: Creation of tools to assist the previs team.
- Editing: Compiling of sequences + sound design within Adobe Premiere.
- Troubleshoot assets and shots, continually looking for and suggesting improvements to increase overall efficiency and productivity
- Maintain or exceed consistent level of productivity while meeting deadlines and producing high quality work
- Comfortable leading a team of artists, some of whom may be working remotely from other ILM locations
- Must have a passion for camera animation and understand how to design camera motions for real world shoots
- Demonstrate strong character/creature animation abilities and switch between quality levels of anim from rough blocking to higher polish if and when necessary
- Able to contribute or interested in developing generalist skills to elevate the aesthetic of the previs, including basic modeling, lighting, rigging, fx, etc.
- Comfortable communicating and collaborating with other departments across ILM
- Demonstrate flexibility with iterative process
Reports to the CG Talent Manager, works under Previs Supervisor
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree in Computer Science, computer visualization, or computer animation required.
- 5+ years of experience in visual effects and/or feature animation film
Required Skills / Competencies
- Proficiency with Linux and Maya
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Experience in animation, previs and/or layout
- A reel demonstrating strong creative and technical ability in photo-realistic 3D with a focus on animation, previs or layout; basic competency in modeling, texturing, lighting, camera, layout and rendering
Preferred Skills / Competencies
- Basic knowledge of Nuke, Mari, Arnold, V-Ray, Zbrush and Photoshop
- Experience in modeling, rigging, texturing and lighting
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.