Lighting Technical Director (Feature Animation & VFX)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 10001954 Location Vancouver, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Sep. 22, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
The Lighting TD designs and implements direct and reflected lighting and shadows for assigned shots that meet art and tone direction. Ensures that assigned shots fit the continuity of the sequence. Develops solutions and techniques that meet art/technical direction. Participates in team review of work under development. Able to navigate and use previous setups for at least a dozen shots, insertion of shot specialization, managing multiple assets and lighting setups. Also able to light using varying shadowing strategies, imitate distributed light sources. Management of volumetric light setups, including shadowing and cucoloris development. Also able to light, material assign and render for actors using CG hair and scattering skin materials.
What You’ll Do
- Design and create lighting and the look of computer generated objects and scenes
- Create images, effects, and scripts for digitally composited sequences
- Compile various elements of a shot and see it through to completion
- Demonstrate good listening and communication skills by openly receiving direction and criticism by asking good questions to confirm clear understanding of the directions and how to approach what needs to be done. Once clear, implements the requested changes immediately and raises flags right away if a solution is not quickly found or if there are any delays, making sure the Supervisors and Production are kept in the loop and are up-to-date on the status of one's shot work.
- Demonstrate solid presentation/communication skills in dailies/shot review by clearly and briefly outlining what has been accomplished and what next should be addressed in the shot
- Demonstrate solid problem solving skills
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritize tasks managing time very well, providing everyone with accurate time estimates on shot task completion
What We’re Looking For
- At least 3 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, at least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
- Experience with either Katana, 3DS Max, Maya, Houdini or similar software.
- Linux and scripting ability
- Experience in Python and/or Lua
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Vancouver) Inc., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.