Matchmove / Layout Artist (TV) Vancouver, BCApply Now Apply Later Job ID oS5tbfwl Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Nov. 01, 2019
The Matchmove / Layout Artist is to manage creating camera moves and rough blocking animation within a digital environment. Layout Artists work closely with the Animation Director and Visual Effects Supervisor to establish composition, timing, and continuity for each shot. When live-action photography is involved, the Layout Artist accurately recreates the set, camera moves, and actor performances to allow for seamless effects integration. In the CG Layout process, Camera matchmoves and original CG camera moves are integrated to create the framework of each Sequence (matchmoving is the replication of the real set, camera and camera move within the computer for later use by animators and technical directors). Often this includes manipulating both 2d and 3d elements, while maintaining accurate camera perspective. In some cases a sequence might be entirely Computer Generated with no live action background elements. The Layout Artist works as part of the larger layout team which acts as a central hub for all shot preparation to ensure continuity and camera accuracy in CG Elements. While matchmoving is one requirement of the position, ILM Layout Artists perform many tasks outside of matchmoving (see below).
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Performs matchmoving duties such as camera tracking, character matching (matchanim), solving lens distortion, deformation matching of surfaces, solving native stereo plates
- Responsible for multi-plate splicing and stitching, adding creative plate post-moves, creative stereo (i.e. Technical layout)
- Responsible for Previz, postviz and techviz (prep for location shooting or ride development); Process inbound/outbound moco data
- Photomodels, performs environment/scene setup verifying correct assets are being used, edit ranges are correct, and generating initial data for downstream artists including animation/TDs/comp, lidar processing, set dressing (i.e. Scene setup)
- Creates creative camera work for non-plate shots and camera takeover shots; originate entirely CG camera animation (i.e. CG camera work)
- Solve facial animation from face cams (i.e. face-capture)
- Under the direction of the project Supervisors, setup the technical and aesthetic approaches of the matchmove work for a shot, sequence, or an entire aspect of a show
- Convert background plates to various formats to use with specific software to create digital motion files that match the plate photography; animate any live action character or relative object in the scene
- Model the set geometry used to create the matchmove and environment for Animators and Technical Directors
- Light, render and composite files with the background to judge the move
Reports to the Senior Production Manager and receives daily oversight and direction from the CG or Layout Supervisor.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent; 3+ years’ experience as an artist, animator, or camera operator.
- Proven track record of delivering high end VFX across a range of episodic television genres
- Strong understanding of the pace and production process of episodic television
- Ability to reproduce exact camera moves within a computer environment.
- Knowledge of photography and the effects of different lenses on perspectives.
- Good written and oral communication skills including strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills including the ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Location and/or Stage experience including matchmove set ups; data wrangling; hdr/digimatte/texture/pmodel photography; lidar scanning; lens grid filming; on-stage (real-time) camera capture/assistance.
- Advanced knowledge of Linux, Maya, 3dEqualizer (or other tracking software) required. Knowledge of Nuke is a plus.
- Maintain an expert level of knowledge about current developments in matchmove tools for computer graphics, especially in areas that relate to the film industry.
- Must have a willingness to learn new tools, proven ability to be detail-oriented and to work efficiently within a production environment.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.