Media Support Engineer
Vancouver, British Columbia, CanadaApply NowApply Later
Job ID 858033BR Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Sep. 13, 2021
Job Summary:Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity and is breaking new ground in episodic storytelling, bringing theatrical quality animation to the series format for Disney+. This role will be located in our Vancouver Studio.
Walt Disney Animation Studios combines the best in artistry and storytelling with cutting-edge technology to bring wonderful new characters and adventures to the big screen for audiences around the world. The Studio is looking for a Media Support Engineer to join our team of passionate technologists.
The Media Support Engineer provides the studio with tech support and services. Primarily a first response position, other responsibilities include hardware/software installation, telecommuting support, collaboration with other technology teams to provide support where needed, and exploring process improvements. Media Support Engineers partner with stakeholders, artists, and technologists to provide all necessary equipment and systems to enable the most effective & efficient work experience for studio employees, whether on site or remote.
This role requires experience/expertise working with media technology and audio visual (A/V) systems. The ideal candidate has strong familiarity with A/V technologies, such as projectors, large displays, video conferencing, audio DSP systems, control systems such as Q-Sys and Crestron, and other common technologies used in media and A/V installations.
- Provide support for all media and A/V systems in the studio, including conference rooms, editorial suites, “Dailies” / digital review rooms, A/V carts, etc
- Assist in the design of media and A/V systems and spaces
- Work closely with filmmakers and artists to better understand evolving workflows and related hardware needs.
- Collaborate with other technology teams as needed to determine the best solution to challenges.
- Partner closely with the Media team at the Burbank studio to maintain a consistent artist experience across studio sites.
- Assist other support staff by providing Help Desk/Service Center style support as needed, monitoring inbound technical support requests, calls, and tickets for all studio employees.
- Handle support issues from start to resolution, escalating only when necessary
- Installation of desktop hardware including workstations, displays, tablets, and related peripherals.
- Install/support a wide array of software, both internally-developed and third party.
- Support multiple hardware and operating system build processes including Mac, Linux, iOS and Windows, as well as related software & accessories.
- Basic support of some server & network equipment as needed
- Work with studio leadership to continually improve tech support procedures and policies.
- Help to define how end-user support should be coordinated, delivered, standardized and communicated.
- Create thorough documentation of processes and procedures.
- Maintain a flexible schedule including possible night or weekend work.
- Minimum 2 years experience with media & A/V technology, related technical/user support, preferably in a production setting.
- Strong familiarity with A/V technology and trends. Familiarity A/V equipment such as professional projectors, audio/video routing equipment, mixers, speakers, large displays, etc.
- Expertise with common video conferencing platforms such as Zoom, Google Chat and MS Teams, as well as hardware platforms such as Cisco and Poly
- Working knowledge of Mac OS, iOS and Windows operating systems. Familiarity with Linux desktop.
- Familiarity with remote desktop technologies, such as PCoIP, Teradici and HP Remote Graphics
- Familiarity with ticket tracking, tech support tools, documentation platforms, and diagnostic systems.
- Proficiency with productivity applications such as OpenOffice, Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, and administration of those systems.
- Ability to diagnose, repair or replace computer system components (storage media/drives, graphics/GPU cards, memory modules, fans, etc)
- Strong analytical problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills and a strong customer service orientation.
- Highly self-directed. Manage and prioritize multiple concurrent and competing challenges, issues, ambiguities, and contradictions that inevitably occur when supporting a highly complex, and diverse production environment.
- Ability to lift heavy equipment, install, configure, and maintain desktop/laptop computers and mobile devices.
- Experience designing & building complex A/V systems, wire integration, etc
- Experience programming control systems, such as Q-Sys, Crestron or AMX
- Experience with professional secure streaming platforms such as Sohonet or Evercast
- Strong familiarity with computer hardware and components, A+ or similar systems administration certification
- Hands-on experience with Linux administration
- Strong Macintosh/Windows system administration skills
- Experience with/passion for scripting/coding
- Familiarity with CG Animation, VFX, or video game production environments & common pipelines.
Preferred EducationBS or BA degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Broadcast Arts, or related technical field, or equivalent professional experience.
Additional Information:Our Company proudly provides equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. We welcome and encourage applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in any aspect of the selection process.
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company (Canada) Ltd., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.