Pipeline Technical Director, Level IApply NowApply Later Job ID 10000314 Location Vancouver, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Apr. 20, 2023
The Pipeline TD develops and maintains software tools, providing front-line support to artists, and general troubleshooting of the CG pipeline in a fast-paced, feature film visual effects production environment. The primary focus is ensuring artist efficiency. Receives day-to-day direction and priorities from show CG Supervisor; reports to Studio Technology Director/Supervisors for technical guidance and oversight.
What You'll Do
- Develop pipeline and asset management tools to meet immediate, show-directed production demands, ensuring facility-wide consistency as directed by show and technical supervisors
- Help maintain a wide array of existing workflows and scripts
- Provide front-line production support across a wide range of disciplines, troubleshoot assets and shots, and help artists with general problem-solving
- Monitor email requests, package up problems and redirect to appropriate engineering team
- Test and validate tools and techniques in production
- Work closely with engineering teams in testing, and releasing new and modified software systems
- Act as an on-call resource for show production staff, primarily for complex, urgent problems
- Work effectively with artists, production supervisors, and technical staff across ILM studios in San Francisco, Singapore, Sydney and London
- When not crewed to shows, serve on software teams working on projects that improve the efficiency of asset setup, caching, and shot-data handoff between artists across the entire pipeline
- Identify day-to- day priorities in conjunction with show supervisors; act autonomously
- Work primarily on tools of a high degree of complexity, requiring broad knowledge of the larger pipeline
- Develop comprehensive knowledge of software and systems; contribute to evolving standards and conventions used in production
- Update documentation for the pipeline and tools to reflect any changes that are made
What We're Looking For
- At least 2 years relevant production experience in visual effects for film, commercials or television and a BA in computer science, or related field; OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining tools for use in computer graphics
- Proficiency in Linux
- Advanced Python scripting required
- Experience in one or more of Maya, Nuke, Houdini, Mari, Katana, RenderMan or similar
- Ability to communicate cross-discipline and provide innovative solutions to pipeline issues.
- Detail oriented and strong self-sufficient trouble shooter.
- Good understanding of the entire visual effects process, from shooting to modeling and texturing, animation, rendering and compositing
- Nice to have:
- Experience with production database systems
- Experience with C, C++
- Experience with Windows development and applications such as 3ds max a plus
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Vancouver) Inc., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.