R&D Engineer - FX/CrowdsApply NowApply Later Job ID 10000260 Location Vancouver, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Jul. 04, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
Industrial Light & Magic, founded in 1975 by George Lucas, has created some of the most iconic moments in motion picture history. From Star Wars to Jurassic Park, Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers, The Avengers, theme park rides and interactive experiences, ILM continues to expand the possibilities of what visual entertainment can be.
ILM’s R&D and Core Pipeline groups develop the ground-breaking technology that our artists use to create dazzling visuals. ILM’s innovations have won 33 Scientific and Technical Academy Awards®. Today, we are 70+ visually-minded software engineers, working side-by-side with over a thousand digital artists in a fast-paced, intensely collaborative, creatively-driven film production environment, across studios in San Francisco, Singapore, Vancouver, London, and Sydney.
We are looking for engineers for our FX/Crowds R&D team to help us develop advanced tools for simulating natural phenomena, rigid-body destruction, and crowds for major motion pictures.
We’re looking for engineers who can work closely with artists and other developers to author tools, solvers, and pipelines for physics-based simulation, fluid dynamics, and/or procedural simulation of crowds in Houdini. We need people who are passionate about overcoming technical and creative challenges to meet the needs of production on our upcoming slate of Hollywood blockbusters.
What You’ll Do
- Work in a united, global team of full-time software engineers, and work directly with highly specialized and supremely talented artists in ILM’s studios in San Francisco, Singapore, Vancouver, London, and Sydney.
- Develop innovative algorithms and data management techniques, based on the latest research in physically-based simulation and crowds animation
- Design artist-friendly user interfaces, including SOP and HDA user interfaces, and automated batch processes that scale to high volume visual effects production
- Integrate commercial and open-source systems into the ILM production pipeline; work with external organizations, such as other Disney divisions, and with commercial software vendors
- Work with, extend, and assist ILM’s proprietary software systems
- Split time between long-term software development projects and day-to-day production assistance
- Develop tools within a large, complex, mature, and dynamic code base
What We’re Looking For
- BS or advanced degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience in professional software development and/or VFX production
- An intuitive comprehension of the demands of a fast-paced, creatively-driven visual effects production environment
- Collaboration: a readiness to trust others, be trustworthy, and play nice
- Communication: an ability to express yourself concisely, a willingness to speak up, and a conviction to keep everyone informed of progress and issues
- Empathy: an ability to listen intently and recognize artists’ needs
- Creativity: an insightful and analytical thinker, and a creative problem solver
- Ability to develop software in Python and/or C++ on Linux
- Knowledge of technology related to one or more aspects of FX or crowds simulation: physics, numerical techniques, procedural geometry, procedural crowd animation, etc.
- Familiarity with open-source utilities and numerical libraries such as OpenVDB, Alembic, Eigen, TBB, etc.
- Experience working with Houdini, both as a user and developer
- Thorough knowledge of software design/development principles
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Vancouver) Inc., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.