R&D Look-Development/Rendering EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 10029655 Location Vancouver, Canada / London, United Kingdom / San Francisco, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Oct. 17, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
We are looking for engineers for our Look-Development/Rendering R&D team to help advance our Katana/RenderMan/Mari-based lighting and look-development tools and high-performance, photorealistic visual effects pipeline in general.
The tools and workflows we’re developing include:
- Integration of Pixar’s Universal Scene Description (USD) as a canonical representation of complex scenes, effects, and lighting data
- MaterialX and the Lama layered material definition
- Efficient texturing and UV coordinate layout pipeline
- Multi-shot and sequence-based lighting workflows
- Smooth integration between interactive and distributed batch render queuing
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials.
What You’ll Do
- Work in a collaborative, distributed team of full-time software engineers, and work directly with highly specialized and talented artists in ILM’s studios in San Francisco, Singapore, Vancouver, London, and Sydney
- Design artist-friendly user interfaces, robust data management and scene assembly systems, and special purpose content creation tools that scale to high-volume photo-realistic visual effects production
- Collaborate closely with commercial software vendors
- Work in a large, complex, mature, and dynamic code base
- Split time between long-term software development projects and day-to-day production support
What We’re Looking For
- BS or advanced degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience in professional software development and/or VFX production
- Proficiency in C++ and/or Python on Linux
- Thorough knowledge of principles of computer graphics, especially modeling, texturing, and shading: path tracing, light transport, high-dynamic-range imagery, color science, proceduralism and instancing, material definition, deformation and caching, texturing and UV layout
- Experience with Katana, Mari and/or other commercial lighting/painting/texturing software applications
- Working knowledge of standard data formats: OpenEXR, Alembic, USD, etc. Experience with shading languages, GLSL in particular, is a plus.
- Experience designing artist-friendly interfaces using GUI toolkits: Qt, PySide, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of software development principles: object-oriented design, test-driven development, source code management, build and release processes
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ent Co Ltd, LLC Payroll Svc, which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Ent Co Ltd, LLC Payroll Svc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.