Senior Layout / Matchmove Artist Vancouver, BCApply NowApply Later Job ID oFRU7fwh Location Vancouver, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Apr. 26, 2022
Senior Matchmove/Layout Artists are responsible for independently creating camera moves and rough blocking animation within a digital environment. Senior MM/Layout Artists work closely with the Animation Director and Visual Effects Supervisor to establish composition, timing, and continuity for each shot. May be required to work with live-action plates or in a CG layout environment.
Senior MM/Layout Artists act as a central hub for all shot preparation to ensure continuity and camera accuracy in CG Elements. While matchmoving is one requirement of the position, Senior MM/Layout Artists may perform tasks outside of matchmoving including CG layout, modeling set geometry, photomodeling, lidar solves, previz, and basic lighting & compositing.
- Independently performs complex matchmove tasks such as camera tracking, character matching (matchanim), solving lens distortion, deformation matching of surfaces, solving native stereo plates
- Responsible for multi-plate splicing and stitching, adding creative plate post-moves, creative stereo (i.e. Technical layout)
- Responsible for Previz, postviz and techviz (prep for location shooting or ride development); Process inbound/outbound moco data
- Photomodels, performs environment/scene setup verifying correct assets are being used, edit ranges are correct, and generating initial data for downstream artists including animation/TDs/comp, lidar processing, set dressing (i.e. Scene setup)
- Creates creative camera work for non-plate shots and camera takeover shots with minimal guidance; originate entirely CG camera animation (i.e. CG camera work)
- Solve facial animation from face cams (i.e. face-capture)
- Independently set up the technical and aesthetic approaches of the matchmove work for a shot, sequence, or an entire aspect of a show
- Convert background plates to various formats to use with specific software to create digital motion files that match the plate photography; animate any live action character or relative object in the scene
- Model the set geometry used to create the matchmove and environment for Animators and Technical Directors
- Light, render and composite files with the background to judge the move
- Mentor Junior Layout Artists
- Special projects as needed
Education / Experience
- At least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, at least 7 years relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Ability to reproduce exact camera moves within a computer environment.
- Understanding of photography and the effects of different lenses on perspectives.
- Good written and oral communication skills including strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills including the ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Advanced knowledge of Linux, Maya, 3dEqualizer (or other tracking software) required.
Preferred Skills / Competencies
- Location and/or Stage experience including matchmove set ups; data wrangling; hdr/digimatte/texture/pmodel photography; lidar scanning; lens grid filming; on-stage (real-time) camera capture/assistance.
- Knowledge of Nuke is a plus
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Industrial Light & Magic, which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.