Senior Look Development Technical Director (Feature Animation & VFX) - Expression of InterestApply NowApply Later Job ID 10000301 Location Vancouver, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Nov. 29, 2022
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
We are looking for a Senior Look Development Technical Director who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM.
Senior Look Development Technical Directors produce high-quality look dev and shading for our CG Assets, needing only initial direction and guidance from their Supervisors.
What You’ll Do
- Design and create the lighting and the look of computer generated objects and scenes
- Works closely with Lighting Supervisors, Lookdev Supervisors and CG Supervisors to determine the best approach to solving CG challenges and developing the final look
- Creates efficient rendering setups in order to optimize render farm usage
- Stays on schedule and meets set deadlines while maintaining the highest level of work quality
- Ensures there is ongoing communication with Production and Leads regarding schedules and deadlines
- Helps mentor Junior Artists within the Lighting/Look Dev team
- Create & maintain simple materials using the provided shading templates
- Create & maintain custom hero materials and shading networks when necessary
- Deep understanding of real world materials
- Perform shot Look Dev tasks
- Understanding of energy conservation principles
- Deep understanding of Physically based rendering and shader models
- Ability to work and communicate with model, texture and groom artists to get the best possible results
- Ability to build and maintain complex shading networks with artist usability and user-interface support in mind
What We’re Looking For
- Degree and/or professional training in Computer Graphics, with advanced work experience in VFX or Feature Animation
- Exhibits excellent listening and communication skills, able to receive direction and criticism
- Demonstrates the ability to help and teach more junior-level artists
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize tasks, manages time very well, provides everyone with accurate time estimates on shot task completion
- Demonstrates the ability to work within a team environment
- Demonstrates the ability to work with minimal supervision to complete an asset
- A thorough knowledge of the vfx pipeline from modeling through texturing, grooming, rendering and compositing
- Ability to pick-up new techniques and the ability to learn new software quickly and easily
- Knowledge of Katana and Renderman is beneficial
- Knowledge of python is beneficial
- Strong interest in shading technologies
- At ease with Linux based operating systems
- Good understanding of physically plausible shading techniques
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Vancouver) Inc., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.