Senior Production Engineer - Production Tools Vancouver, BC
Vancouver, British Columbia, CanadaApply NowApply Later
Job ID oIzRefw6 Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Mar. 06, 2021
We are looking for production engineers for our Production Tools Team in Core Pipeline, to help advance Editorial, 2D media, Dailies and Review pipelines for motion picture visual effects production.
Core Pipeline is a globally distributed team that develops tools and workflows which act as the foundational infrastructure for ILM’s other departments. We work closely with CG Production to create innovative tooling for media handling tools, core services, asset management and more. The team works with all levels of artists and supervision to create efficient, accessible and user friendly software.
Who We Are
Industrial Light & Magic, founded in 1975 by George Lucas, has created some of the most iconic moments in motion picture history. From Star Wars to Jurassic Park, Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers, The Avengers, theme park rides and interactive experiences, ILM continues to expand the possibilities of what visual entertainment can be.
ILM’s Core Pipeline and R&D groups develop the ground-breaking technology that our artists use to create dazzling visuals. ILM’s innovations have won 29 Scientific and Technical Academy Awards®. Today, we are 70+ visually-minded software engineers, working side-by-side with over a thousand digital artists in a fast-paced, intensely collaborative, creatively-driven film production environment, across studios in San Francisco, Singapore, Vancouver, London, and Sydney.
What You’ll Do
- Work in a collaborative, distributed team of full-time software engineers and media experts in researching, developing, and supporting ILM’s editorial, production tracking, media transformation, dailies and review tools that scale to high-volume visual effects and animation production.
- Work directly with highly specialized and talented artists in active film and tv production in ILM’s studios in San Francisco, Vancouver, London, Singapore, and Sydney. Work with Editors, show supervisors, and engineering teams to balance long-term development projects with day-to-day production support.
- Analyze and optimize the media pipelines in active production. Advise creative leadership on media pipeline approach and strategy.
- Liaise with other Core Pipeline teams to build off of services they provide, partner with other Walt Disney Studios like Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios as well as other industry groups to create the best work possible at ILM.
What We're Looking For
- Experience in computer science or related fields.
- Extensive experience in professional software development and/or VFX production.
- An intuitive understanding of the demands of a fast-paced, creatively-driven environment.
- Collaboration: a readiness to trust others, be trustworthy and play nice.
- Communication: An ability to express yourself concisely, a willingness to speak up, and a conviction to keep everyone informed of progress and issues.
- Empathy: an ability to listen intently and recognise artists’ needs.
- Creativity: an insightful and analytical thinker, and a creative problem solver.
- Thorough knowledge of software development, leading software projects, supporting active productions, troubleshooting pipeline issues and championing best practices.
- Proven history of mentoring others, being a domain expert and facilitating change.
- Ideally has experience with RV, Nuke, AVID and/or similar 2D media tools; knowledge of open standards such as OpenColorIO, OpenImageIO, OpenTimelineIO and ffmpeg a plus.
- Experience working with a large, complex, mature, and dynamic codebase.
- Fluent in Python, with experience in Linux; ability with Databases and C++ a plus.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.