Senior Systems Engineer, Data ServicesApply NowApply Later NOTE: We have a new application system, please create a new account if you have not done so yet when applying. Job ID 10008481 Location Vancouver, Canada Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Aug. 11, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
Walt Disney Animation Studios is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer for the Data Services team, to collaborate with world-class filmmakers, artists, and technical engineers to create the magic of animation. Bring your unique talents, passion, and ideas to our team and prepare to play in a creative, artist-friendly environment.
The Data Services team is looking for talented engineers to partner with artists, production leadership, technical directors, and engineers on the design, implementation, and optimization of our database systems. This is motivated by the expanding needs of film production at Walt Disney Animation Studios. The role will support technology initiatives focused on our Vancouver studio users and collaborate on large scale projects with our Burbank teams as well.
The ideal candidate will enjoy the diversity and challenges of working with both relational and nonrelational databases. Additionally, they will have expertise with leading the design and management of tools and services associated with data systems. All projects have in common pursuit of simple and performant solutions to complex problems using Agile and DevOps methodologies as part of high-energy and proficient teams.
The engineer filling this role will be a critical part of a variety of projects depending on studio needs. Example assignments could include: architectural design and optimization of our data systems; industry research into products used in house, state of the art trends, and alternative tools to challenge the status quo and present alternative solutions to team members and leadership; close collaboration with team members to guide stakeholders to think critically about their database options; providing guidance across multiple teams for the database needs of large scale studio initiatives.
Systems Engineers are highly supportive of each other, expected to demonstrate self-direction when needed, and learn through experiencing both success and failure. You must be comfortable supporting your team by bringing fresh insight for shared problem solving. Also critical to success in this role is the ability to build trusted relationships with technical and non-technical users, to understand their needs and pain points intimately, and deliver relevant solutions.
Our studio thrives from a wide variety of technical backgrounds and experiences, so we encourage applicants to apply even if they do not meet all requirements listed below.
Bring your unique talents, passion and ideas to our team, and be a part of Disney’s creative legacy!
- Demonstrated knowledge of Document databases like CassandraDB, ElasticSearch, and MongoDB
- Demonstrated knowledge of Relational databases like MySQL, MariaDB, PostgresDB, MS SQL, and CockroachDB
- Experience with Kibana, Redis, Grafana, InfluxDB, and Logstash
- Implemented data ingestion and handling clusters in real time processing using Kafka
- Experience with Unix shell scripting and system automation
- Experience with cloud data platforms such as Amazon RDS, Glue & Data Lake, Google Spanner, etc.
- Solid communication, collaboration ability, and problem solving skills, with a desire to continue to grow in these areas
- Must be an effective listener who engages with users, teams, and leadership to understand requirements, offers informed guidance, elicites feedback, and works closely with others to build and rollout practical, maintainable solutions
- BS in Information Science, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field; or comparable industry experience
- Working knowledge of Java, Go, or other server-side scripting languages
- Experience with a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services
- Understanding of TCP/IP networks and related technologies
- Knowledge of Informix
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Animation Studios Vancouver Inc., which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.