Senior Systems Engineer, Deployment ServicesApply NowApply Later Job ID 938439BR Location Vancouver, Canada Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Feb. 24, 2022
The Deployment Services team is looking for talented engineers to partner with artists, production leadership, technical directors, and engineers on the design and implementation of our build, release, and deployment services for our hybrid on-premises/cloud server and desktop infrastructure. This is motivated by the expanding needs of film production at Walt Disney Animation Studios. The role will support technology initiatives focused on our Vancouver studio users and collaborate on large scale projects with our Burbank teams as well.
The ideal candidate will enjoy the diversity and challenges of working at various levels in the foundational deployment stack, from defining configuration management, providing desktop and server OS-level deployments, to developing CI/CD infrastructure and processes. All projects have in common pursuit of simple and performant solutions to complex problems using Agile and DevOps methodologies as part of high-energy, proficient teams.
The engineer filling this role will be a critical part of a variety of projects depending on studio needs. Example assignments could include: investigation and implementation of high performance graphics workstations; design of configuration management and build automation processes; championing change that would support stakeholder success and longer term studio vision; mindful implementation of corporate security standards; and data monitoring, measurement, and analytics.
Systems Engineers are highly supportive of each other, expected to demonstrate self-direction as well as collaboration, and learn through experiencing both success and failure. You must be comfortable supporting your team by bringing fresh insight and guidance for shared problem solving. Also critical to success in this role is the ability to build trusted relationships with technical and non-technical stakeholders, to understand their needs and pain points intimately, propose relevant solutions, and deliver relevant solutions.
Our studio thrives from a wide variety of technical backgrounds and experiences, so we encourage applicants to apply even if they do not meet all requirements listed below.
Bring your unique talents, passion and ideas to our team, and be a part of Disney’s creative legacy!
- Demonstrated experience in Linux or Mac systems engineering
- Demonstrated experience in desktop and server configuration management, version control, build automation, and provisioning
- Experience with a wide variety of industry technologies:
- Deployment tools for macOS, like Munki and/or Jamf
- RHEL and/or other Linux distributions, and management tools for Linux
- Configuration management tools like Puppet, Ansible, Salt, or Chef
- Scripting experience in Bash and/or Python
- Familiarity with software build environments, build systems and compilers such as Make, CMake, GCC, and LLVM
- Problem solving skills and a strong desire for continuous growth and learning
- Solid communication and team collaboration experience
- Must be an effective listener who engages with users, teams, and leadership to understand requirements, offers informed guidance, elicites feedback, and works closely with others to build and rollout practical, maintainable solutions
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field; or comparable industry experience
- Experience scoping out initiatives, identifying milestones, and making time estimates
- Experience with Windows systems engineering and deployment tools for Windows, like Chocolatey and/or SCCM
- Experience with C/C++
- Working knowledge of relational and nonrelational databases
- Understanding of TCP/IP networks and related technologies
Additional Information:Our Company proudly provides equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. We welcome and encourage applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in any aspect of the selection process.
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company (Canada) Ltd., which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.