Simulation SupervisorApply NowApply Later Job ID 879187BR Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Oct. 28, 2021
- Work with the Head of Character Effects to realize their vision to define and implement the Character Simulation style and practices for the show.
- Collaborate directly with the Art Director of Characters, Character Model Supervisor, Rigging Supervisor and Character Look Development Supervisor to realize character cloth and hair simulation which successfully encompass all artistic and technical criteria.
- Partner closely with the Character Look Development Supervisor for all aspects of cloth and hair simulation requirements.
- Partner with Production Management and the Head of Character Effects to make sure artists are on track to complete assignments on time and to top quality.
- Supervise the creation of simulation setups for characters and props
- Work with FX team and supervisor to package simulation components that are part of environment publishes
- Maintain functional parity between layout, animation, and final character assets
- Develop and maintain portions of the character guides, specifically in relation to the technical implementation of pertinent characteristics
- Analyze cost implications of requests or changes and notify production of resource over-runs.
- Manage complexity of the character simulation rigs.
- Staying abreast of the development of new simulation tools.
- Where necessary, participate in the creation of assets.
- Responsible for consumability and efficiency of artist deliverables into downstream departments.
- Participates in department processes, bidding and reviews
- Assesses resource needs and collaborates with department leadership in helping find staffing solutions.
- Creates an inclusive and safe work environment by carefully managing sensitive information, making rooms feel open and comfortable, creating space for everyone to have a voice and addressing bias when it occurs.
- Guides the creative and technical vision/expectations for the team members.
- In tight conjunction with the Head of CFX, Production Management and AM, inspires and motivates the team.
- Contributes to the overall craft and development of team members through setting expectations, delivering consistent constructive feedback, recognition, and accountability.
- Models and fosters a collaborative work environment between individuals on the team and across departments.
- Identifies solutions and compromises in partnership with other supervisors.
- Provides regular updates to direct leader on the progress, health and direction of the team.
- Keeps the team informed with context for show related changes and updates.
- Studio Culture-Actively fosters an inclusive, innovative, and collaborative environment so every employee can contribute at the highest levels.
- Technology, Tools and Workflow-Engages in the creation and execution of technical standards, pipeline conventions and workflows to support the department, show and studio.
- Department Stewardship-Partners closely with peers and Artist Manager support an environment of creativity, trust, and innovation. Actively involved in assessment, casting, hiring, and overall growth of artists.
- Minimum 2 years of leadership experience that demonstrates a strong ability to lead and mentor others.
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to WDAS standards, pipeline, tools and workflows as they relate to the discipline you would be leading.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Art, Cinema Studies, Computer Graphics, Engineering, related field, or equivalent experience
- Strong understanding of the principles of animation
- Strong appreciation for the importance of optimization
- Experience with complex animation rigs, skeletons, deformers, shape libraries, and procedural modeling techniques
- Strong knowledge of each of the following technical areas:
- Simulation techniques (hair, cloth and rigid body)
- 3D sculpting tools/techniques
- 3D texture painting and mapping tools/techniques
- The Unix/Linux environment
- Python and Mel scripting
- Skill in the following areas is desirable:
- 3D modeling
- Traditional drawing, painting, design and/or sculpture
- Knowledge of anatomy, kinematics and physical behaviors
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company (Canada) Ltd., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.