Studio Production Manager Vancouver, BCApply NowApply Later Job ID oS5effwa Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Apr. 14, 2021
The Studio Production Manager is responsible for monitoring, tracking and understanding Vancouver’s tactical and strategic capacity in order to contribute towards work distribution in partnership with Production, Vancouver Talent Management, Global Capacity Manager and Executive in Charge, Vancouver Studio.
They drive artist utilization and resolve crewing conflicts across the portfolio of shows, working closely with the Talent Management team. They are responsible for new show start up and handoff, bridging early production demands where needed. They manage the Production Management discipline, actively working in parallel with the Director of Production and Vancouver EPs to ensure best practices are employed at the ground level.
What You’ll Do
Capacity Management - in partnership with Talent Managers, Supervisors, Executive Producers and Studio Leadership:
- Assess New Bids, helps create placeholder crew ramps and provide scenarios to ascertain whether work will fit into each studio
- Assess Capacity on Awarded work and Growth scenarios
- Reviews multiple bodies of work and provide analysis when updated crewing needs cause issues
- Raise issues with appropriate Production Team and / or EP and seek to resolve issues collaboratively
- Balance day-to-day needs of multiple projects and crew, informing Talent Management and artists when changes are necessary
- Maintain consistent and updated local capacity assessments to help guide Show / Global capacity decisions
- Maintain overall schedule for assigned portfolio of projects in partnership with show production
- Partner with individual shows on 3PP strategies based on volume and necessity
- Provide consistent reports to share capacity outlook
- Works to define best practices by collaborating with the various stakeholders
- Provide detailed analysis to help navigate strategic crewing and capacity decisions
- Proactively create plans to boost artist utilization. Collaborate with local Talent Managers, global counterparts and Production leadership to even out peaks and troughs of capacity across all departments
- Strives to resolve issues proactively and serves as the interface between Talent Managers and production leadership for crewing issues that can not be resolved
- From a neutral point of view, look for solutions to ensure an equitable split of resources between the local shows while balancing the larger studio talent strategy, deadlines and financial targets
- Provide line management for Associate Production Managers, Production Coordinators, and Production Assistants including performance reviews and career development
- Partner with Executive Producers to support and promote ILM production best practices across the projects
- Forecast production management personnel needs
- Evaluate upcoming production resource needs and work with Recruiting to develop role descriptions, review resumes, conduct interviews and facilitates the hiring of additional production resources
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor's Degree in Film, Art, Communications or related field or equivalent work experience required
- Hands-on Talent Management experience – casting, management & resource scheduling (2+ years)
- Proven track record of successfully working in Visual Effects Production Manager capacity on several major productions at a facility (5+ years)
- Must have a specific understanding of the visual effects business including, pipeline, artist disciplines, techniques, scheduling and throughput
- Strong production and tools knowledge required
- Must be a compelling communicator with a strong point of view and a proven ability to influence others through diplomacy. Must be able to articulate ideas effectively
- Ability to facilitate meetings
- Strong problem-solving capability both independently and in a collaborative environment
- Strong analytical skills including mathematical concepts
- Proven ability to effectively interact and build relationships throughout all levels of an organization.
- Flexible, proactive, positive attitude
- Sound judgment, diplomacy, and tact; ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent organization and interpersonal skills across geographical locations
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.