Systems Engineer II (StageCraft) Vancouver, BCApply NowApply Later Job ID olzchfw7 Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Oct. 08, 2021
The Systems Engineer designs and develops all aspects of the studio production infrastructure. You will design, develop and maintain studio infrastructure used by all departments throughout the company, and to ensure smooth operation of our multi-site, award winning, visual effects company.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. ILM does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with local and global technology teams, artists and productions to maintain and develop efficient systems and services
- Participate in day to day operations and support tasks in the local studio
- Provide mentoring and assistance for IT and other support teams
- Serve as knowledge resource for systems and services used at ILM
- Proactively drive resolution of high level technical incidents and issues
- Monitor and maintain the health of core systems, services and resources
- Optimise and update existing systems and services, with an emphasis on security and reliability
- Create new systems and services
- Lead technical projects from initial concept to completion
- Communicate with others to determine technical requirements and disseminate information regarding project status
- Exercise independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining a goal
- Expected to lead discussions surrounding future systems and services roadmaps and initiatives
- Manage the evaluation and development of emerging technology
- Maintain working relationships with vendors, integrators, and service contractors
- Maintain systems engineering standards and practices, with relevant documentation
- Participate in regular status and planning meetings
What We’re Looking For
- Degree in Computing Science, or equivalent professional experience
- 6-10 years experience of systems engineering in complex heterogeneous environments
- Experience initiating projects, driving them, and reporting back on the results to key stakeholders
- Experience mentoring others in company procedures
- A positive, “can-do” attitude but not be afraid to ask for help when getting outside experience base or comfort zone
- A clear and concise communicator with ability to keep both end users and managers informed on progress and requests
- An effective listener, able to engage with technical and non-technical audiences to discover what their requirements are
- An effective time manager: Must be able to prioritize a multitude of requests and not be afraid to ask for help if the path isn’t clear
- Passionate about delivering rigorous follow-through on assigned tasks
- An agile, flexible and quick thinker: This is an energetic, dynamic environment requiring an ability to adapt to rapidly changing requirements
- A creative thinker and innovator: Able to devise and employ ingenious solutions to difficult problems
- A passionate and charismatic personality: Ability to inspire and motivate
- Expert knowledge of Linux including maintaining, trouble-shooting and optimising Linux-based server and desktop infrastructure
- Advanced knowledge of Bash, Python or other scripting or programming language
- Advanced knowledge of deploying and managing high-performance storage, network, render and server infrastructure
- Advanced knowledge of automating desktop and server deployments and configurations
- Advanced knowledge of deploying and managing virtual server and desktop infrastructure
- Advanced knowledge of deploying and managing cloud-based services and infrastructure
- Nice to have:
- Experience creating and supporting distributed, scalable systems and services that are fault tolerant and reliable
- Experience with media and film systems and technologies including virtual production
- Experience with hardware and software used in high-end visual effects image and graphics pipelines
- Experience working with remote desktop and streaming solutions
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.