Virtual Art Department Supervisor Vancouver, BCApply NowApply Later Job ID oOQjhfwY Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Oct. 19, 2021
The Virtual Art Department (VAD) bridges the gap between Production Design and VFX. Working with the Production Art Department, the VAD Supervisor helms a team of artists that creates Real Time environments and assets for Virtual Production.
What You’ll Do
- Liaison with VAD clients directly to inform and direct creative choices
- Supervise your team to deliver the expected and desired work for the show on time
- Review the work of each artist on your team on a regular basis, approving assets and environments for submission to the art director
- Mentor and guide the artists on your team and assist them with their work
- Quickly create complex 3D Real Time assets (by doing model/texture, lighting) to realize the 3d environment builds
- Interpret and implement feedback with minimal direction
- Work with your Leads to define an optimal workflow for your team, specifying tool and pipeline needs
- Attend bidding sessions with Production and provide precise and accurate bids
- Collaborate with Talent management to provide performance feedback, recruiting, mentoring and maintaining positive morale
- Be able to troubleshoot technical problems with environments and ensure they are ready for client reviews
What We’re Looking For
- A strong foundation in photo-realistic, traditional, or digital art skills with an emphasis on landscapes and interiors
- Experience using the Unreal engine and a demonstrated ability to quickly pick up new software
- Comfortable with client communication and proven track record of successful client and vendor partnerships
- At least 5 years of relevant professional VFX or Games experience and a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography; OR At least 7 years of relevant professional experience in lieu of education
- Proven ability in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development, matte painting or compositing OR proven artistic ability in a non-CG field
- A person who exhibits strong teamwork, excellent communication and interdisciplinary thinking
- Demonstrated knowledge in some or all of these software packages: Photoshop, 3DsMax, Maya, Perforce and 3D paint programs like Substance Painter. Comparable software experience considered.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.