Virtual Art Department Technical Artist Vancouver, BCApply NowApply Later Job ID oyQjhfwI Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Oct. 19, 2021
The Virtual Art Department (VAD) bridges the gap between Production Design and VFX. VAD Technical Artists build and deliver key technologies and workflows that enable artists and designers to quickly implement visual content. You will deliver assets, processes, and workflows that empower storytellers. The ideal candidate will have a strong eye for art quality as well as knowledge of real-time requirements and constraints.
What You’ll Do
- Prepare scenes and content ahead of client reviews and virtual scouting sessions
- Facilitate and observe daily reviews and working sessions to identify bottlenecks or issues
- Debug technical issues promptly and efficiently, escalating to core engineering teams when needed
- Set strategic direction for the content pipeline and tools, and provide a product-owner level of expertise as a key pipeline customer
- Standardize and improve content creation, review processes and best practices for production of real-time assets, materials, shaders and LODs
- Contribute to look-development of the highest-caliber real-time art by creating material networks, lighting, and particle effects, and partner with other artists on asset look development
- Profile real time scenes to provide leadership with content strategies on how to best accomplish their vision
What We’re Looking For
- Previous experience working in a real time/virtual production environment, preferably at a VFX or animation studio, OR experience working in a previsualization, virtual art department, virtual production or motion capture production environment
- Production experience using real time game engines like Unreal Engine and can exhibit your knowledge of game engine and editor best practices
- Strong understanding of visual scripting systems like the Unreal Engine’s Blueprint system
- Working experience with the Perforce version control system
- Demonstrated knowledge in some or all of these software packages: Maya, 3DS Max, Houdini, Substance Painter, Blender, etc
- Working knowledge of computer graphics interchange file formats like FBX, USD, MaterialX and Alembic
- Exceptional communicator, able to implement feedback from key creatives and production supervision and communicate back to core engineering teams
- At least 3 years of relevant professional VFX or Games experience and a college level diploma in Computer Science, Programming, or Fine Arts; OR At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in lieu of education
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.