Software Developer, ScalaApply NowApply Later Job ID 914160BR Location Warsaw, Poland Business Disney Streaming Date posted Jan. 09, 2022
Disney Streaming encompasses the teams leading the Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, and Star+ streaming services within the Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution group. We sit at the intersection between entertainment, sports, and technology and seek to connect viewers with the stories they love, while driving the streaming industry forward with consumer-first innovation.
Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services.
Disney+ topped 100 million active subscribers just 16 months from launching and we have aspirations for many more. Ensuring all of our millions of users have the magical experience they come to expect from Disney, when watching their favourite shows is a challenge that we relish. This means scaling, and reliability is our primary focus in everything we build.
The User Services Teams:
We are functional Scala enthusiasts (Cats / Scalaz / ZIO / shapeless etc) that care about following best practice. We're responsible for things like registration, login and authentication, profiles and personalisation and compliance for Disney+ & ESPN+
Our UK teams work in small, cross-functional squads that promote Agile practices. As a backend development team, we are experienced advocates of functional programming so you can expect to join a team that is applying principles from FP, Reactive Programming and Distributed Computing to build these services, using Scala, Akka, Kafka, Play and Cats, as well a wide range of cloud-native technologies including AWS (Kinesis, DynamoDB, Lambda), Docker and Serverless.
We have a mature DevOps culture in place, where the team is responsible for the infrastructure and deployment of those applications - "You build it, you run it."
What you will do:
You will be using Scala, Cats Effect, Kinesis, and Dynamo to build and innovate our software that is distributed, reactive, and scalable.
- Contribute to or lead a significant part of the implementation and deployment of services within your team.
- Work on challenging and varied business domains including video encoding, digital rights management, advertising, authentication, and payment services.
- Apply principled engineering practices including unit testing, integration testing, continuous integration and, by your example, lead others in your team to do likewise.
- Commercial experience with Scala
- Have experience or at least an interest in functional programming
- Have experience with public cloud technologies - We use AWS
- Knowledge of applying object-oriented and functional programming styles to real-world software engineering problems.
- Experience creating scalable and reactive web applications with modern frameworks like Akka / Play / Http4s etc
- Experience with (or a willingness to learn) the Lightbend Reactive Platform, but any JVM (Scala, Java, Clojure) or Functional Language (Haskel, Lisp, Scheme) background is great!
- Have experience with or an interest in "DevOps" tooling
- An understanding of continuous integration and continuous delivery practices.
- Contributions to the technical community, either through blogs, internal workshops, meetups or conferences.
Our office is based in Warsaw, Poland we plan to continue with our remote-first flexible way of working moving forward.
On offer is a competitive salary which is complemented by a Disney benefits and rewards package which includes LTI bonus (long-term-incentive), pension, holiday allowance, annual bonuses, private medical healthcare, life insurance, Disney parks & resorts passes and discounts on Disney merchandise.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability, pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Streaming.