Already applied?View Dashboard
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you've learned in the classroom within a family of legendary brands passionate about creating world-class experiences on a global scale. Now, imagine yourself in a paid Disney Professional Internship.
Social & Assignment Desk Internship (DC), ABC News - Summer 2019Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 627796BR Location Washington DC, District of Columbia, United States Business Disney ABC Television Group Date posted Jan. 11, 2019
Job Summary:Within Assignment Desk, you will assist the on-duty Assignment Editor, which may include monitoring social media, running teleprompter, and providing editorial support for the field producers.
Within Social Media, you will support all shows and digital platforms daily and during breaking news situations, providing content and guidance about trends and breaking news. You will work closely with the team to find social content (photos and video) that can be sourced and verified for use. You may pitch and write stories based on this content. During breaking news, the Social Media team supports the news division, finding sources and eyewitnesses. You may also assist with producing a daily social note of interesting stories and trends.
Responsibilities:A day in the life…
- Story research and pitching ideas
- Potentially writing articles (interviewing and/or covering events), and producing video shorts for dotcom/digital
- Attending press conferences and hearings
- Assisting with spot production – assisting on local shoots and in the edit room
- Setting up interviews
- Searching databases
- Logging and transcribing
- Video editing
- Coordinating and managing logistics for show guests
- Obtaining permission for material
Basic Qualifications:What you bring to the role…
- A serious interest in broadcast journalism
- Sound written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in non-linear video editing software (Adobe Premiere, AVID and/or Final Cut Pro)
- Previous experience (academic or internship) in journalism (print, digital, and/or broadcast); television, news and new media production; and/or television news script writing
- Strong familiarity with social media news outlets
- Strong customer service skills
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite including Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Above all, initiative is a strong component of a successful internship within the DC Bureau
- Junior or Senior-level standing; or attending Graduate school; or a recent graduate within 6 months of graduation date.
- Working toward a degree in broadcast journalism, communications or television production.
- Courses taken in producing/writing/editing (Preditor) a plus.
- Previous internship in a professional newsroom/local news affiliate.
- Strong research, writing and editing skills.
- Prior experience generating story ideas and pitches.
- Prior experience with social media management.
- Experience with DV camera operations.
- Knowledge of news software, like ENPS, a plus.
- Experience writing and/or reporting political coverage, and/or experience with campaigns.
Additional Information:Internship Eligibility
•All candidates must possess unrestricted work authorization
•All candidates must be at least 18 years old
•All candidates must currently be enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class – OR – be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months - OR - be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program in order to qualify for this internship
•All candidates be able to work in the Washington, DC office and must provide their own housing and transportation for the duration of the internship
•All candidates must be able to have a consistent, reliable work schedule throughout the session
•All candidates must be available from May/June to August/September
•All candidates must be willing to work 40 hours/week
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.