Associate Editor, National Geographic KidsApply NowApply Later Job ID 822459BR Location Washington, DC, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products,Disney Publishing Worldwide Date posted Jul. 13, 2021
- Manage a currently established list of leveled readers, social/history titles, and science and nature titles
- Review proposals and acquire and conceptualize titles as requested to fill publishing plan white space as needed
- Work closely with authors and other partners to edit manuscripts for publication, facilitating revision for style, content, accuracy, quality, tone, and level
- Manage book projects from acquisition to layout to bound book in coordination with author, illustrator, designer, photo editor, fact checkers, content experts, packagers, freelancers, and any other book team members
- Ensure projects release to production on time, working with the production editor to resolve copyeditor and proofreader queries in a timely manner
- Generate and pitch ideas for new nonfiction and fact-based fiction properties and participate in IP brainstorming meetings
- Present titles at acquisitions meetings
- Prepare acquisition paperwork, including acquisitions memos and P&Ls; track paperwork for approved projects through the acquisitions process
- Set up acquired projects in title management system
- Draft fact sheets, catalog copy, bound galley copy, and jacket/cover copy
- Partner with multiple departments including Marketing, Publicity, and Sales, presenting titles to marketing and sales groups and potentially attending conferences to promote titles
- Manage and process payments for titles; track payments and troubleshoot problems
- Negotiate, request, and finalize work-for-hire contracts for all writers, project editors, fact checkers, researchers, and packagers for each project
- Negotiate, initiate, and manage royalty contracts for projects involving a royalty author
- Review special projects created by international licensing partners and send feedback related to audience and brand cohesion
- 3-5 years of experience in children's editorial
- Experience managing books through the editorial/production process
- Exceptional written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Attention to detail and organizational skills
- Passion for creativity and an interest in fun, facts, photos, and all things animal!
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Contract-negotiation skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- The ability to brainstorm new ideas with a large team
Required Education• Bachelor's Degree, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
About Parks, Experiences and Products,Disney Publishing Worldwide:
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products,Disney Publishing Worldwide.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.