Counsel - National GeographicApply NowApply Later Job ID 763911BR Location Washington, DC, United States; Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Jul. 30, 2020
This is a unique opportunity to be an important part of the Nat Geo television family, and to help Nat Geo continue to produce award winning documentaries and television programming.
This position can be located in Burbank, New York, or Washington, DC.
- Drafting a wide variety of television agreements, including TV programming deals (acquisitions, commissions, co-productions and development deals), domestic and international license agreements, and other agreements for NGP’s international and domestic television properties
- Handle a wide range of matters typical of “show lawyers” such as issues relating to the development, production and exploitation of scripted and/or unscripted entertainment programming, including script and/or concept vetting, transactional work, rights analysis, copyright and trademark issues, defamation and First Amendment advice, and other legal matters arising during development and production.
- Provide legal analysis to internal clients as needed (often concerning legal rights and responsibilities, and risk assessment) in order to make informed business decisions
- Liaise directly with legal counterparts at Disney/ABC to facilitate best practices exchanges.
- Minimum of 5 years of legal experience at a law firm in corporate or other department
- Minimum of 2 years of unscripted television production experience
- Strong interpersonal skills (multi-cultural/ written/verbal/negotiation)
- Needs to be able to handle advanced level reasoning tasks and have good judgement
- Familiarity with Word, Adobe and Excel
- Able to respond to and interact with both internal and external senior level business executives in a professional, articulate, personable and useful manner.
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Comfortable multi-tasking and working in a fast-paced environment
Preferred Qualifications:Experience in television
Required EducationStrong academic credentials including a J.D. degree and membership in at least one state bar
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.