Counsel – National GeographicApply NowApply Later Job ID 772510BR Location Washington, DC, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Jan. 26, 2021
- Advise newsroom personnel as to legal considerations, such as libel, invasion of privacy, and intellectual property.
- Respond to news story claim letters.
- Draft agreements with content creators, international licensees, distributors, and other parties.
- Interpret rights agreements.
- Analyze and advise in connection with legal rights and obligations, deal structure, intellectual property matters, claims, clearances, audits and other matters arising out of the day-to-day operations of the National Geographic Media, which includes the magazines, all digital publications (e.g. podcasts, social media, and sites).
- Clients will include other departments as NG Media, Image Collection, and International Publishing.
- Minimum 5 years of law firm or in-house experience.
- Experience drafting, interpreting and negotiating rights agreements.
- Experience conducting pre-publication review for a news organization.
- Exposure to and an understanding of matters relative to all forms of intellectual property.
- Ability to work with newsrooms to meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational, analytical, prioritization and time management skills.
- Ability to work under deadlines and execute efficiently against multiple, high-priority projects.
- Ability to perform duties under minimal supervision while exercising discretion and independent, sound judgment.
- A professional, confident demeanor and an ability to work well with colleagues and to communicate effectively and positively with clients and all levels of management, including providing counsel to senior level executives.
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve in a professional, creative and ethical manner.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, other office-related software, and legal document management systems.
Preferred Qualifications:Relevant experience in the news or magazine industry preferred.
- JD or equivalent
- Strong academic credentials
- Admitted and in good standing in at least one jurisdiction in the United States or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel.
Preferred EducationJournalism degree
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.