Already applied?View Dashboard
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you've learned in the classroom within a family of legendary brands passionate about creating world-class experiences on a global scale. Now, imagine yourself in a paid Disney Professional Internship.
ESPN Rhoden Fellowship - 2020/2021Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 725436BR Location Washington, DC, United States Business ESPN Date posted Nov. 15, 2019
The Undefeated, the premier platform for exploring the intersections of race, sports and culture. We enlighten and entertain with innovative storytelling, original reporting and provocative commentary. We are not conventional, and never boring.
A day in the life:
The Rhoden Fellows will report on the many facets of life on historically black colleges and universities (HBCU), essentially answering the question: What is it like to be an HBCU student in the 21st century?
The fellows will serve as on-campus correspondents and will be expected to produce daily, weekly and monthly multi-media content for The Undefeated. This will include weekly conference calls and participation in behind-the-scene work at various athletic conferences and events, such as the Big 12 women’s basketball tournament, the NCAA Men’s Final Four tournament and the NFL Draft. Students will also produce and edit a weekly podcast about sports and HBCU culture.
What you WILL NEED TO bring to the role:
- Proficiency in reporting and storytelling on multimedia platforms
- Journalism experience as a writer and/or reporter
- Extensive interest in – and knowledge about – sports, pop culture and current events as it relates to communities of color
- Interest in all phases of the sports industry including sports journalism, design, editing, sales and public relations
- Experience using tools such as Wordpress and Photoshop
- Social media savvy
- Experience in shooting and editing video
- Enrolled as a sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student in an accredited HBCU in the semester prior to the internship and enrolled throughout Fall 2020 & Spring 2021.
- Must be enrolled in a college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
Program Dates: The approximate dates are June 8, 2020 – May 20, 2021. Interns will work up to a maximum of 10 hours per week throughout the academic year and 40 hours per week for 10 weeks in the summer (June 8 – August 14, 2020).
Location: Fellows will work from our Washington, D.C. office during Summer 2020 and will work from their respective campuses during the academic year.
Housing: A limited amount of housing assistance for the weeks in D.C. is available for those who qualify.
Deadline to apply: January 13, 2020. Selected students will be notified by March 2, 2020.
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.