General Editor, News, The UndefeatedApply NowApply Later Job ID 773853BR Location Washington, DC, United States Business ESPN Date posted Feb. 23, 2021
The Undefeated is seeking a General Editor for News to assist with a wide range of tasks, including but not limited to generating and editing content and web producing. This position requires sports knowledge as well as proficiency in social media and WordPress and outstanding communication skills. The General Editor will also be required to assist senior editorial staff.
The Undefeated is located in Washington D.C. This position will be remote until the company determines it is safe to return to the office. Once safe, it will require the candidate live in the city or relocate for the position.
- Be able to build a story package with appropriate photos, headlines, tags, notifications and any other requirements for publishing.
- Use metrics, research and news cycle to strategize publication of content.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest headlines as they pertain to race, culture and sports.
- Manage schedules and assigning of stories to reporters.
- Manage calendar for long-term planning of content, company priorities across verticals.
- Collaborate with departments throughout The Walt Disney Company to create unique content tied to priorities.
- Leverage internal relationships to further amplify stories across ESPN/Disney platforms.
- Work with social media and audience development team to determine best way to promote content.
- Participate in multiple weekly meetings with peers to share or improve upon ideas.
- Minimum of 3 years of editorial experience as an editor or writer for an online publication.
- Is a self-starter who is capable of managing a heavy workload and has excellent time management skills.
- Has clear communication skills and experience working within a cross-functional team.
- Has high degree of competence in editing, writing and reporting.
- Has strong understanding of current events.
- Has strong understanding of major areas of popular culture.
- Has a basic appreciation and knowledge of all sports.
- Has solid news journalism experience and news judgment.
- Has understanding of HTML and related Web-authoring tools and software.
- Has strong English grammar and excellent organizational skills.
- Well versed in African-American history
- 4 years of editorial experience.
- Has good understanding of the market positioning and strategies of digital content delivery.
- Bachelor's Degree in journalism, communications, online/multimedia or related field and a minimum of three years’ direct professional editorial and/or reporting experience OR a high school diploma and a suitable* combination of related training and experience.
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.