Already applied?View Dashboard
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you've learned in the classroom within a family of legendary brands passionate about creating world-class experiences on a global scale. Now, imagine yourself in a paid Disney Professional Internship.
Penn Ave/Global Affairs Unit Internship, ABC News (DC)- Summer 2018Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 520579BR Location Washington, Washington, D.C., United States Business Media Networks Brand Disney ABC Television Group Date posted 01/22/2018
The ABC News Pennsylvania Ave Unit covers the White House, Capitol Hill, Pentagon and the State Department. Our reporters and producers support all the major broadcasts and digital platforms, covering political events and the fallout from one of the most divisive elections in history.
The Global Affairs Team in the Washington Bureau is responsible for working with Chief Global Affairs Correspondent Martha Raddatz, covering issues of national security, the military, and diplomacy.
ResponsibilitiesA day in the life…
You will be in the center of a constant news cycle, stemming from events on everything from White House and State Department briefings to Senate and House hearings.
- Assisting in the daily editorial research, reporting and writing for all platforms with special emphasis on digital
- Monitoring social content; locating and researching elements for broadcast pieces, placing reporting calls, and assisting our producers in the field at events/stakeouts
- Assisting with logging tape, and attending press conferences and hearings
- Helping with spot production – assisting on local shoots and in the edit room
- Opportunities exist for writing articles, and producing video shorts for dotcom/digital
Basic QualificationsWhat you bring to the role...
- Completed coursework in politics, international affairs, and current events and journalism
- Excellent research, writing and editing skills
- Strong editorial judgment and political news awareness
- Attention to detail
- Previous experience (academic or internship) in journalism (broadcast and/or print)
- Strong proficiency with MS Office Suite including Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Basic digital editing skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong familiarity with social media news outlets
As well as…
•All candidates must be eligible to work in the US
•All candidates must be at least 18 years old
•All candidates must currently be enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class – OR – be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months - OR - be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program in order to qualify for this internship
•All candidates must be available from May to August for the 12 week program
•All candidates must be willing to work 20 hours/week.
•All candidates must provide their own housing and transportation for the duration of the internship
•All candidates must be able to have a consistent, reliable work schedule throughout the session
Preferred Qualifications•Preferred Junior or Senior, or a recent graduate within 6 months of graduation date
•Previous internship experience in a professional newsroom setting
•Prior experience generating story ideas and pitches
•Familiarity with CMS (content management systems)
•Knowledge/familiarity with major issues in politics and policy
Company OverviewThe Walt Disney Company is the global leader in high-quality entertainment and innovative technology. Begin a career that delivers unparalleled creative content and experiences to audiences around the world.
This position is with: American Broadcast Companies, Inc
Compensation: Intern positions are paid employment opportunities
Equal Opportunity Employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability