Principal Counsel – Global TradeApply NowApply Later Job ID 771440BR Location Washington, DC, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Dec. 30, 2020
The Global Ethics and Compliance Management team is responsible for developing and promulgating the standards pursuant to which The Walt Disney Company and, its affiliated entities do business, developing and implementing anti-corruption policies and procedures, trade compliance and training Company employees regarding the Standards of Business Conduct, and anti-corruption.
The Principal Counsel – Global Trade attorney will provide guidance to our global businesses.
- Primary legal advisor and internal subject matter expert on international trade customs and supply chain matters to help the Company achieve worldwide compliance and realize efficiencies in the supply chain.
- Act as a global coordination point for handling high priority international trade and customs matters and coordinating with global public policy, government relations, business operations, and executive leadership teams.
- Review import/export documentation and guide business teams and customs brokers to expedite customs clearance of Company products that have been delayed at global ports.
- Proactively identify and assess potential risks, and work with legal, policy, and operational teams to develop risk mitigation approaches, and drive cross-functional implementation.
- Provide trade compliance audit assistance and representation before trade enforcement authorities around the world.
- Inform customs policy development work, partnering with other global stakeholders to develop global policy standards, developing and implementing compliance solutions, assisting in global trade-related investigations, and advising on licensing and customs requirements.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date global import compliance policies, procedures and manuals, as well as conducting trainings as necessary.
- Operate independently, and be confident managing multiple internal stakeholders, balancing differing opinions and perspectives, and weighing up risk in order to provide effective policy advice to leadership.
- Participate in industry and global trade practice area groups, attend agency meeting on behalf of the Company to particularly to keep abreast of regulatory developments.
- A self-starter, who actively seeks out opportunities to improve business and operational processes/procedures with innovative ideas and creative solution.
- A team player with an open, mature and positive personality who is willing to share and communicate information effectively while maintaining high levels of integrity, confidentiality, and discretion.
- Good judgment, consistent attention to detail and the ability to effectively prioritize and timely produce high quality work product.
- Familiarity with global trade management software.
- Support the development of trade compliance policies and processes to support the execution of import and export operations.
- 10+ years of legal experience in a law firm, in-house, or government agency.
- Admitted or eligible for admission to practice in-house in California or D.C.
- An understanding of political, cultural and global trade customs developments
- Familiarity with implementing and configuring trade management software such as SAP GTS, Oracle GTM, etc., to manage import/export compliance.
- Private sector and government experience.
- Significant experience with global supply chain operations, including end to end supply chain optimization.
- Customs Brokers License issued by U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- CUSICO (Certified U.S. Import Compliance Officer)
- Experience with export controls, sanctions, deemed exports, anti-boycott, embargoes, and product classifications, a plus
- JD or equivalent
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.