Science Resident (National Geographic)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 881103BR Location Washington, DC, United States Business General Entertainment Content Date posted Nov. 01, 2021
National Geographic’s Science Desk is a leading outlet for reporting on major developments across fields that are core to our brand, including astronomy, paleontology, geology, human origins, and health and medicine. We seek to explain the news by offering valuable context about the science that underpins our daily life, as well as doses of wonder that showcase amazing discoveries with deep reporting and stunning visualizations. During this residency, you will gain valuable experience making science captivating for a general audience, building your writing and editing skills, and honing your strategic thinking around story packaging and promotion under the guidance of senior editors.
- Develop story ideas and pitch to senior editorial staff
- Rigorous research for stories, conducting interviews, collaborating on accompanying photos and graphics, writing for multiple platforms, and producing stories in our in-house CMS
- Consistently demonstrate solid news judgment and storytelling skills, with an understanding of high-quality digital and print magazine writing
- 1+ year relevant professional experience as a reporter/editor
- A track record covering health and medicine for a lay audience
- Excellent reporting, writing, time management, and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to write about complex topics in a clear, engaging voice
- Keen attention to detail and the ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Proven interest in journalism, production, and digital media
- Bachelors’ degree from a four-year accredited college or university; a degree in journalism or a related science, such as biology or biochemistry, is preferred
About General Entertainment Content:
The General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ABC, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call General Entertainment Content.
ABC, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.