Senior Editor for News, The UndefeatedApply NowApply Later Job ID 774430BR Location Washington, DC, United States Business ESPN Date posted Jun. 07, 2021
The Senior Editor for News will play a role in managing the editorial content of The Undefeated, assisting the Managing Editor in implementing editorial strategy. The Senior Editor’s principal duties will include coordinating and driving the site’s daily coverage, running daily content meetings, and ensuring the quality, timeliness, topicality and The Undefeated uniqueness of the content published. The Senior Editor will be based at the The Undefeated’s Washington headquarters and play an essential role in enforcing workflow and other practices that are necessary for a functioning newsroom. The Senior Editor will also act as a liaison to ABC News and all ESPN platforms as well as outside media sites in developing partnerships and major projects.
The preferred location is D.C., however we may be open to CT, LA or NY.
- Key role overseeing the daily content being produced and published on The Undefeated.
- Conceive and assign daily articles and other content.
- Help generate content that resonates and upholds The Undefeated’s mission
- Work with the audience development, research, social and product teams to help build audience and continually improve the site.
- At least six years of experience in print or digital journalism, at least half of which has been as an editor.
- Experience line-editing news, features and projects, as well as social media.
- Familiarity with quantitative journalism and statistical analysis (such as sabermetrics).
- Three years of experience managing and evaluating staff members.
- Ten years of experience in print and digital journalism, including five years as an editor, at a recognized national or regional publication or website.
- Demonstrated expertise in editing news and features, along with several major projects, with an emphasis on quantitative journalism. Editing and reporting experience should also include some sports, economics, or cultural news.
- A background in social media, and a proven understanding of the technical and product aspects of running a website.
- Bachelor's Degree in journalism, communications, online/multimedia or related field and a minimum of 7 years’ direct professional editorial and/or reporting experience OR a high school diploma and a suitable* combination of related training and experience
- Well versed in African-American history
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.