Already applied?View Dashboard
Senior Editor, The Undefeated, CultureApply Now Apply Later Job ID 666258BR Location Washington, DC, United States Business ESPN Date posted May. 08, 2019
Job Summary:The Undefeated is the premier platform for content that lives at the intersections of sports, race and culture.
The Undefeated is seeking a Senior Editor to lead culture coverage, working with our staff, freelance writers and other platforms to expand the breadth and impact of sports & culture storytelling at ESPN. This individual will work closely with writers and editors to produce compelling stories in multiple forms, from text to video, from daily pieces off the news to long-term features, from live events to television specials and streaming service originals. This position requires proficient knowledge of social media, outstanding interoffice and communication skills, and comfort in working across many units at ESPN and the Walt Disney Company. We are looking for a creative mind who will think outside the box, in non-conventional ways, to continue to lift our culture brand. The ideal candidate would be deeply knowledgeable and current on pop culture.
The Undefeated headquarters are in Washington D.C., and this position requires the candidate to live in the area or relocate for the position.
- Editing a team of writers and other producers of culture content
- Generate a consistent stream of ideas for features, columns, digital videos, social media, linear TV and ESPN + that are appropriate for amplification and/or collaboration with other departments at ESPN and the Walt Disney Company.
- Be able to build a story package with appropriate photos, headlines, tags, notifications and any other requirements for publishing.
- Both lead and participate in regular meetings with colleagues in a productive manner.
- Work effectively to manage writers located in different parts of the country.
- Expand the roster of outside writers and other content creators producing work on culture for The Undefeated and ESPN.
- Minimum of 6 years of editorial experience as an editor or writer for a publication
- Has solid communication skills, and experience working in a cross-functional team
- Has advanced competence in writing, editing and reporting
- Has advanced understanding of all major areas of popular culture.
- Has a basic appreciation and knowledge of all sports
- Has solid news journalism experience and news judgment; understands sports and coverage from a journalistic point of view
- Has understanding of HTML and related Web-authoring tools and software
- Has strong English grammar and excellent organizational skills
- Has familiarity and some experience with producing Branded Content
- Has familiarity and some experience in the Live Events space
- Has good understanding of the market positioning and strategies of digital and streaming content delivery
- Has familiarity with major Internet search engines and fluency in electronic newsgathering techniques, including quickly navigating the Internet
- Bachelor’s Degree
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.