Already applied?View Dashboard
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you've learned in the classroom within a family of legendary brands passionate about creating world-class experiences on a global scale. Now, imagine yourself in a paid Disney Professional Internship.
Social & Assignment Desk Internship, ABC News (DC)- Summer 2018Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 522149BR Location Washington, District of Columbia, United States Business Media Networks Brand Disney ABC Television Group Date posted 01/29/2018
Within Assignment Desk, you will assist the on-duty Assignment Editor, which may include monitoring social media, running teleprompter, and providing editorial support for the field producers.
Within Social Media, you will support all shows and digital platforms daily and during breaking news situations, providing content and guidance about trends and breaking news. You will work closely with the team to find social content (photos and video) that can be sourced and verified for use. You may pitch and write stories based on this content. During breaking news, the Social Media team supports the news division, finding sources and eyewitnesses. You may also assist with producing a daily social note of interesting stories and trends.
ResponsibilitiesA day in the life…
- Story research and pitching ideas
- Potentially writing articles (interviewing and/or covering events), and producing video shorts for dotcom/digital
- Attending press conferences and hearings
- Assisting with spot production – assisting on local shoots and in the edit room
- Setting up interviews
- Searching databases
- Logging and transcribing
- Video editing
- Coordinating and managing logistics for show guests
- Obtaining permission for material
Basic QualificationsWhat you bring to the role…
- A serious interest in broadcast journalism
- Sound written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in non-linear video editing software (Adobe Premiere, AVID and/or Final Cut Pro)
- Previous experience (academic or internship) in journalism (print, digital, and/or broadcast); television, news and new media production; and/or television news script writing
- Strong familiarity with social media news outlets
- Strong customer service skills
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite including Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Above all, initiative is a strong component of a successful internship within the DC Bureau
- All students must possess unrestricted work authorization
- All students must be at least 18 years old
- You must currently be enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class – OR – be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months - OR - be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program in order to qualify for this internship.
- All students must provide their own housing and transportation for the duration of the internship
- All candidates must be available from May to August for the 12 week program
- All candidates must be willing to work 40 hours/week
- Junior or Senior-level standing; or attending Graduate school; or a recent graduate within 6 months of graduation date.
- Working toward a degree in broadcast journalism, communications or television production.
- Courses taken in producing/writing/editing (Preditor) a plus.
- Previous internship in a professional newsroom/local news affiliate.
- Strong research, writing and editing skills.
- Prior experience generating story ideas and pitches.
- Prior experience with social media management.
- Experience with DV camera operations.
- Knowledge of news software, like ENPS, a plus.
- Experience writing and/or reporting political coverage, and/or experience with campaigns.
Company OverviewThe Walt Disney Company is the global leader in high-quality entertainment and innovative technology. Begin a career that delivers unparalleled creative content and experiences to audiences around the world.
Additional InformationThis position is with: American Broadcast Companies, Inc
Compensation: Intern positions are paid employment opportunities
Equal Opportunity Employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability