Sr Editor, Multi-Platform Content – National GeographicApply NowApply Later Job ID 10062733 Location Washington, DC, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Sep. 14, 2023
The Senior Editor, Multi-Platform Content is responsible for delivering world-class editorial projects across the full spectrum of National Geographic’s core topic areas, from the planet’s ecosystems, geographies, and cultures to outer space. She/he/they is passionate about storytelling and story development and will commission and edit work from contributors to fulfill an extensive publishing calendar. As part of a group of editors, the Senior Editor will deliver stories—from short-form reported pieces to long-form literary features to complex multimedia content packages—on deadline to fulfill an extensive editorial calendar while bringing a forward-thinking editorial sensibility to our team.
- Commission, develop and edit pieces, with a focus on longform literary reportage and multi-component content packages, including franchises, working with internal partners and external contributors to conceptualize and create content in National Geographic’s core content areas.
- Ensure that pieces come together in a timely manner and adhere to word counts, factual accuracy, and other specs.
- Develop and adapt stories for all Nat Geo platforms including print, digital, social, and others.
- Develop, nurture, and maintain new and ongoing relationships with writers and industry professionals
- Report to Editorial Director Multi-Platform Features on project development and challenges, assist in feature management, including contracts, scheduling, production stages, and administrative tasks, as needed
- Minimum of 6 years of publishing experience that demonstrates increasing editorial responsibility with a large media organization(s), managing content at various levels.
- Outstanding editorial judgement, strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills and strong knowledge of the National Geographic brand and mission
- Ability to take overall responsibility for concept and content, as well as manage creative relationships.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once, on deadline.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and resourceful, with the ability to work with minimal supervision, problem solve creatively, and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide variety of people in highly matrixed conditions across numerous companies and with colleagues outside editorial, including communications and marketing, business support including sales, promotion, and development
- Proven track record in growing digital audiences and expanding audience demographics
- Curiosity about core Nat Geo topics and the ability to grasp new subject matter quickly.
- Understanding of the editorial process from conception to completion
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe products, Editorial CMS, digital media platforms; knowledge of AirTable is a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with National Geographic Partners PAY SVC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
National Geographic Partners PAY SVC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.