Manager, Software EngineeringApply Now Apply Later Job ID 10058641 Location Santa Monica, California, United States / San Francisco, California, United States / Seattle, Washington, United States Business Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology Date posted Jan. 23, 2024
On any given day at Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology, we’re reimagining ways to create magical viewing experiences for the world’s most beloved stories while also transforming our media business for the future. Whether that’s evolving our streaming and digital products in new and immersive ways, powering worldwide advertising and distribution to enhance flexibility and efficiency, or delivering Disney’s unmatched entertainment and sports content, every day is a moment to make a difference to partners and to hundreds of millions of people around the world.
A few reasons why we think you’d love working here:
- Building the future of Disney’s media: DE&E Technologists are designing and building the infrastructure that will power our media, advertising, and distribution businesses for years to come.
- Reach & Scale: The products and platforms this group builds and operates delight millions of consumers every minute of every day – from Disney+ and Hulu, to ABC News and Entertainment, to ESPN and ESPN+, and much more.
- Innovation: We develop and implement groundbreaking products and techniques that shape industry norms and enhance how audiences experience sports, entertainment & news.
The Ad Platforms team is responsible for building and operating the technology that supports Disney’s industry-leading, multi-billion dollar global advertising business. Working across all of Disney’s streaming brands and linear channels, this team’s scope is wide ranging - they impact everything from core infrastructure development that powers Disney’s proprietary ad server, to reimagining viewer-first ad experiences and formats. This team’s award-winning, in-house built technologies are the backbone of Disney’s ad business and a critical element of the Company’s streaming future.
The Ad Intelligence team falls under Ad Platforms and its mission is to transform advertising and Disney's Ad Platform with data and AI across live TV and streaming. We build solutions to measure and optimize every aspect of the advertising life cycle. Our tenant is a strong cross-domain team to deliver E2E solutions covering tech areas ranging from machine learning, big data, microservices to data visualization. Our team is looking for a Software Engineering Manager who will lead an engineering team within Ad Intelligence. This team will focus on industry-leading ad decisioning solutions, big data infrastructure, operational data, audience solution, inventory forecasting and full funnel measurements as a foundation layer for Disney’s addressable Ad Platforms. The right person for this role should be experienced with big data technologies, high performance services, organization development, and crafting implementation for either service/data products or fullstack solutions. If you are someone who is proactive, hardworking, and enthusiastic in these domains, this is an extraordinary role for you!
- Lead an engineering team in constructing a next-generation, big-data and AI-driven advertising system to advance Disney's addressable advertising platform capabilities
- Continuously evolve team mission, strategy and charter, and develop team structure for changing business needs and technology trend
- Drive adoption of the best engineering practices, including the use of design patterns, CI/CD, code review and automated integration testing
- Collaborate with program managers, product managers, SDET, and researchers in an open and innovative environment
- Recruit and mentor team members, and guide their career development
- Communicate status to senior management
- MS in computer science, EE or other quantitative subject area.
- 8+ years of professional programming in Scala, Java, Python, and etc.
- 8+ years of people and project management experience
- 8+ years of high-performance, high-scalable service design experience or equivalent bigdata design experience with Spark, Flink, Druid, Single Store, Snowflake, Kafka, Nifi or other AWS bigdata technologies
- Consistent record with cloud infrastructure technologies, at least two of Terraform, K8S, Spinnaker, IAM, ALB, and etc.
- In-depth experience of industry level highly available and scalable service
- Experience with processing large amount of data at petabyte level
- Solid understanding of systems, application design and architecture
- Passion about technologies, and openness to interdisciplinary work
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- PhD in computer science, EE or other quantitative subject area
- Experience in digital advertising
- Experience with machine learning and AI
- Experience with a widely used Web framework (React.js, Vue.js, Angular, etc.) and good knowledge of Web stack HTML, CSS, Webpack.
- Experience with Click House, Impala, Presto, Redshift etc.
The hiring range for this position in Santa Monica, California is $164,492 to $220,600 per year, in Seattle, Washington is $172,282 to $231,110 per year, and in San Francisco, California is $180,154 to $241,670 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology:
Disney Entertainment and ESPN Technology (DE&E Technology) provides the technological backbone and product development for Disney’s two media business units, while helping to keep the company at the vanguard of innovation – enabling the Company to continuously leverage technology to enhance storytelling and creativity, while delivering scalability, flexibility, and efficiency for its businesses.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Hulu, LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology.
Hulu, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.