Pipeline Technical Director IApply NowApply Later Job ID 10000429 Location Sydney, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted May 22, 2023
ILM is currently hiring Pipeline Technical Director at all levels and often in multiple locations. You may not see your specific career level advertised online, through the process you and your recruiter will work together to find the right role that combines your unique experience and career goals.
We are hiring across all levels for this discipline
The Pipeline TD is responsible for developing and maintaining software tools, providing front-line support to artists, and general troubleshooting of the CG pipeline in a fast-paced, feature film visual effects production environment. The primary focus is ensuring artist efficiency. The Pipeline TD receives day-to-day direction and priorities from ILM’s show CG Supervisor; reports to R&D supervisor for technical and career guidance.
What will you be doing?
- Develop pipeline and asset management tools to meet immediate, show-directed production demands, ensuring facility-wide consistency as directed by show and technical supervisors. Help maintain a wide array of existing workflows and scripts.
- Provide front-line production support across a wide range of disciplines, troubleshoot assets and shots, and help artists with general problem-solving. Monitor email requests, package up problems and redirect to appropriate engineering team.
- Test and validate tools and techniques in production. Work closely with engineering teams in testing, and releasing new and modified software systems.
- Act as an on-call resource for show production staff.
- Collaborate effectively with artists, production supervisors, and technical staff across ILM studios in San Francisco, Vancouver, Singapore, London and Sydney.
- When not crewed to shows, serve on software teams working on projects that improve the efficiency of asset setup, caching, and shot-data handoff between artists across the entire pipeline.
- Take direction from show supervisors to determine day-to-day and hour-to-hour priorities.
- Work primarily on tools of moderate complexity, requiring general understanding of the larger pipeline.
- Provide front-line support and gather information about artist problems and obstacles; resolve complex user errors; connect artists with deeper problems to appropriate technical support.
- Develop broad knowledge of software, systems, and standards and conventions used in production.
- Update documentation for the pipeline and tools to reflect any changes that are made.
To be a contributing member of this team, you will have a mix of these skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or a related technical field.
- Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining tools for use in computer graphics.
- At least 2 years production experience in visual effects for film, commercials or television.
- Proficiency in Linux
- Strong Python scripting required
- Experience in one or more of Maya, Nuke, Houdini, Mari, Katana, RenderMan, Unreal Engine or similar.
- Ability to communicate cross-discipline and provide innovative solutions to pipeline issues.
- Detail oriented and strong self-sufficient in trouble shooting.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Australia) Pty. Ltd., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.