Lighting SupervisorApply NowApply Later Job ID 10000800 Location Sydney, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Apr. 26, 2023
The Lighting Supervisor is responsible for leading a team of Lighting TD’s and Leads to create, direct and reflect lighting and shadows that meet the creative direction and vision of the project. This role has shared accountability for the management and deliverables of the Lighting department utilizing research, development, and implementation of new techniques when necessary.
- Quality and artistic supervision of lighting with input from VFX Supervisor
- Designs, implements and critiques generic lighting and compositing to help facilitate the creative "look" of the project
- Determines the need and extent of mattes, paintings, effects and shaders for digitally composited shots.
- Driven to regularly interact with the Producer and Director to understand the desired look as it relates to lighting for the production.
- Deliver final shots to production and ensure final technical check is complete.
- Tracking lighting continuity within sequences.
- Participates as a Supervising team member in determining various design solutions; efficiency improvements and provides artistic feedback on a shot and sequence level to other team members of the production.
- Coaches and guides the team of Lighting TD’s to execute quality performance for the project.
- Partners with Artist Management to guide artists’ overall professional development, providing performance feedback, mentoring, assist with resolving performance issues and maintaining positive morale amongst the crew.
- Attend all relevant meetings to promote effective communication throughout the production team.
- Actively participates in the recruiting and staffing of the lighting team - assesses the work of prospective candidates for the hiring process.
Required Skills / Technical Competencies:
- Extensive management experience of large teams (10+ individuals)
- Ability to plan and execute complex 3D lighting scenes including working with layers and passes, doing complex comps and optimizing scenes and renders
- Must be self sufficient
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written, verbal and interpersonal)
- Highly proficient skills in technical problem solving
- Demonstrable experience of mentoring and developing artists
- Plans well and manages priorities
- Stays agile and flexible
- Thinks analytically and innovatively
- Always curious and seeks new learning opportunities
- Strong working knowledge of Linux, Python and shell scripting required.
- Look development and/or shader writing preferred
- Relevant knowledge of color theory, composition, lighting, aesthetics and how these apply to lighting and rendering in 3D
- Strong working knowledge of various software platforms including Katana, Maya, Nuke, or any other high end CG or compositing software.
- Knowledge of Clarice desirable but not essential
Preferred Skills / Competencies:
- Some photography experience a plus (knowledge of composition, photography terms like depth of field, FOV, aperture, exposure, dynamic range)
Education / Experience:
- 6+ years’ experience as a Lighting Supervisor or role with equivalent level of responsibility in VFX film or on CG animated projects
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Graphics or equivalent work experience
- Experience working across different studios/locations and time zones
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Australia) Pty. Ltd., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.