Senior Systems EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 10057793 Location Sydney, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Sep. 11, 2023
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the winter of 2019. The Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s four studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Senior Systems Engineer with experience in Linux, Automation & Cloud to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for the planning, implementation and maintenance of systems that contribute to the smooth running of all technology in Sydney, working as a member of the global ILM Production Systems Operations team.
The role is responsible for developing and maintaining the core services of ILM and its divisions globally, ensuring the smooth and efficient deployment and execution of core services for use by other IT, IS, & engineering teams and throughout the user base. They will be active in both development projects and service support. Key to the role is implementing and maintaining hardware, operating system images for Windows and Linux, virtual infrastructure standards, tools and other systems that enable core IT services across the company’s locations globally.
As well as drawing on traditional IT techniques, the team takes advantage of modern DevOps approaches to ensure the availability of IT services that provide the core foundation essential for the smooth operation of our multi-site, award winning visual effects company.
What will you be doing?
● Act as a technical lead on key technology projects, ensuring implementations follow best practices and are in line with project objectives.
● Subject matter expert in Linux, Automation and Cloud based technologies.
● Provide internal level 3 support on technologies within IT Operations.
● Drive operational efficiencies of the IT infrastructure to the highest levels, through implementing effective service monitoring, maintenance programs and foundational system design with a global perspective.
● Work closely with other technical groups to ensure that IT standards and technologies are in line with overall technical direction and security posture of ILM.
● Maintain documentation and processes around key IT services in the organization.
● Mentor other Systems Engineers and Administrators to advance their technical knowledge of systems management, automation and DevOps strategies.
● Provide excellent customer service support, including clear verbal and written communications.
● Must be available via mobile phone to participate in team on-call rotations during work and non-work hours.
● Participates in the activities of the globally distributed IT team, including:
development and support activities, regular status and planning meetings as time zones permit.
● Collaborate closely with IT, PE, IS and R&D teams globally.
● Ensures the high availability of configuration management and service deployment systems.
● Maintains a working knowledge of industry trends and technical advancements.
To be a contributing member of this team, you will have a mix of these skills:
● Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent professional experience.
● 8-10 years of experience as a professional IT engineer / administrator, preferably in the visual effects or computer animation industries, building and supporting IT systems in a multi-platform high performance production environment.
● Experience mentoring others in company procedures.
● A thorough knowledge of industry-specific technologies including high-performance NAS/SAN systems (eg. Isilon, NetApp, 3Par etc.) and distributed rendering/computing technologies.
● Deep understanding of IT security concepts, procedures and implementations.
● A working knowledge of networking and security concepts and technologies.
● Extensive Linux system administration experience using mainstream Linux OS.
● Thorough understanding of system performance issues and tuning.
● Proven experience designing, building, automating and running large-scale technical infrastructures in a multi-site, multi-platform environment.
● Experience with configuration management systems eg. Ansible, Salt, CFEngine, etc.
● Experience in the following technology products: Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft SCCM, VMWare, Veeam Backup, Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform.
● Understanding of DNS, DHCP, LDAP, Kerberos, and OAUTH2/SAML2.0 systems.
● A clear and concise communicator, written and verbal, with the ability to keep end users informed of progress and managers informed of requests.
● An effective listener: able to engage with and understand others to discover what their requirements are.
● A great team player with a proven ability to resolve problems professionally, systematically and with a collaborative approach.
● Time management skills are key - must be able to prioritize a multitude of requests and not be afraid to ask for help if the path isn’t clear.
● Passionate about delivering rigorous follow-through on assigned tasks.
● An agile, flexible and quick thinker: this is an energetic, dynamic environment requiring an ability to adapt to rapidly changing requirements.
● Detailed oriented, highly organized self-starter,
Preferred Skills / Competencies:
● Knowledge of ITIL framework concepts.
● Familiarity with Blade workstations, Teradici portals etc.
● Understanding of different project management methodologies.
● Experience with containerization systems such as Docker.
● Familiarity with SQL databases, such as Oracle SQL, MS-SQL, PostgreSQL or MySQL.
● OS deployment techniques such as PXE and kickstart.
● Experienced with monitoring technologies such as PRTG, InMon, Zabbix, etc.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Australia) Pty. Ltd., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.